Mower won't restart when hot

Judy H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a 3-year-old Honda GCV160 model. I've never had a problem with it until this summer. Once I stop the mower, it won't restart. Once it has cooled down sufficiently, it will start right up again. My neighbor thinks it might need to have the gaskets replaced. The air filter is new, and the spark plug is okay. Has anyone had this problem?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi, I have a 3-year-old Honda GCV160 model. I've never had a problem with it until this summer. Once I stop the mower, it won't restart. Once it has cooled down sufficiently, it will start right up again. My neighbor thinks it might need to have the gaskets replaced. The air filter is new, and the spark plug is okay. Has anyone had this problem?

When you get to the point where it won't start, do a spark check.

35496193344_9562f5c124_o.png

If you have spark, then the issue is likely to be fuel related. How old is the fuel? Does the mower have a manual or automatic choke? Inspect and verify choke is working properly. Carb may be dirty, but they are super cheap to replace...most for the GCV160 have a list price below $20.

If no spark, could be ignition coil (rare). Inspect plug wire, boot, and replace plug (cheap and easy).

Judy H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert. The mower is an auto-choke. I always use fresh fuel, and earlier this year I added Mechanic in a Bottle, just to make sure the carb was clean. My neighbor checked the spark plug when the mower was hot, and found it had a small spark. He doesn't think the problem is fuel-related, since he removed the air filter and sprayed the carburetor with ether, and the mower wouldn't start. I have bought a spark plug and coil, will try replacing them when I mow again, and will let you know. Thanks again!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not install coil just yet. When it does not start check the choke and see if it is opened or closed. It may be your auto choke acting up.

Judy H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, all who have responded! I changed the spark plug and the coil, and the issue seems to be resolved. The auto choke is fine.