Mower no start

noquacks

Threads
People,

1998 MTD rider, with tecumseh engine, battery shows 12+ volts, but no start. So I tried bypassing the key switch and jumped it directly from the relay thingy (just under, in front of the seat) to the bolt/nut on the starter motor. I got it to turn but never started. tried started fluid, no start. Afraid to drain the battery.

Then I tried a car battery directly to the battery terminal, and no reaction/turning over at all. Lastly, I touched the bolt on the starter directly from the pos terminal from the car battery, nothing at all. But when I jumped from the hot (red) wire of the solenoid to the starter it turns over. I took voltage on that solenoid with switch on and no voltage. Gotta be a bad solenoid, right? Meanwhile, even when I jump it and engine turns, it doesnt start. There is gas in the float bowl.

The mower has not been started for at least 4 months.

Thanks, people.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil level on dipstick, adjust as needed. Clean all electrical connections & apply a small amount of Silicone Dielectric Grease to all connections. Fresh air, gas, good spark & compression are needed for engine to start. Remove battery & have auto parts store load test battery, should be of no cost to you. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Post Model # from under seat.

Last edited:

smalltimerpm

Threads
Check all ground switches...seat switch etc. Check for fire at plug while jumping at solenoid. Let me know if you have fire or not.

noquacks

Threads
Wow, I sanded down the contacts on the solenoid, they were rusty. Then the mower turned over with just the key! No need to jump. But still, did not start. Buying some started fluid today, and having the battery charged at AZ. Plug is good, and does fire (I removed it, placed it against the engine, and saw the bright spark). Should know today what happens.

Thanks, Mark, and Smallll.....

noquacks

Threads
Got the battery back fro AZ and now showing 12.45V. So I tried starting with just the key switch, no luck/activity- zero. Then I checked for V at the R side of the solenoid with key ON, and no voltage at all, even with having had sanded all down to shiny brass. Then, last resort, tried jumping with battery cables from the positive battery post directly to the starter and nothing. Before at least the started turned, now nothing. What am I doing wrong, people? I can just start throwing $$ at this ordering a new solenoid, and a new starter, or a new switch.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a deep breath, remove battery & have it tested at Auto Parts Store for free & report back. Preferably I use Oreilly's Auto Parts, Oreilly's has an in drawer battery tester that tests cells etc. before load testing battery. It will spit out a ticket if battery is bad,

Last edited:

noquacks

Threads
Take a deep breath, remove battery & have it tested at Auto Parts Store for free & report back. Preferably I use Oreilly's Auto Parts, Oreilly's has an in drawer battery tester that tests cells etc. before load testing battery. It will spit out a ticket if battery is bad,
So even with a 12.45V reading a battery can still be undercharged? One thing I did not try is to actually jump the solenoid with a heavy wire, then try to jump starter. Have to try it tomorrow, as it is dark now.

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Electricity travels in a circle
From the battery to the mower then back to the battery again
so using your car / truck run jumpers from the - to the engine ( sump plug is good ) and from the + to the starter post
If the starter is good engine will crank
If key is on and the circuits are good then mower should start .
If no then the starter is the problem .
IF yes then shift the + jumper to the starter side of the solenoid
Engine cranks = cable is good
If yes then shift to the battery side & turn the key
Engine cranks = mower electrics are good but battery or battery leads are bad .
Now try the same with your mowers battery
If it cranks normally in all tests, then remove the - lead
If nothing works properly then bad ground wire or connection
If it only works with the + jumper on the battery side of the solenoid then the power cable is bad .

smalltimerpm

Threads
Hmmm...had spark and did get it to turn over at one point but not crank? Been sitting for 4 months. Maybe time to clean carb..fresh fuel. Also does sound like a bad contact at solenoid or starter...need to check 12 v power to solenoid when turning key. Not the wires running to and from battery and starter but ignition.

smalltimerpm

Threads
If you have power running from ignition wire to solenoid then yes check starter. I think you know how to ground starter with jumper cables and check it. If it checks out good then change the solenoid. Most definitely clean the carb after 4 months! Fuel is recommended to be changed after 30 days of not using these days. Let me know what you find please