Mouse nest in engines.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know of a sure fired way to keep mice from building their nest in the engine. I have heard of citronella candles. Get the ones in the camping section in a can and punch holes in the lid. Hey these little buggers will build their nest in the engines and when you mow the grass they will stay in the engine and get cooked and never leave the engine. Got a cooked garter snake out of one the other day.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are only 2 things that really work
1) a garage cat .
2) remove the blower housing after the last mow of the season to clean the fins and leave it off till the first mow of the new season.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like the garage cat, but they will build their nest in season and if you don't catch it you can do serious damage to the engine. Even ruin it. Have seen engines drop exhaust valves and ruin the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Garage cat gets locked into the garage at dusk and not let out till after dawn.
Thus they are on "patrol" all night when both they & mice are most active.
At dawn or after you let them out and feed them.
So they are also hungry all night.
If they turn their nose up at he food then they found something to satisify their hunger over night which despite what Uncle Ben wants you to believe is much much better for the cat than anything that comes out of a can.

In season you mow every week so first of all the nest will not be a 10 room mansion with 5 generations of mice residing and the heat from the engine will toast them quite nicely.
The smell of the BBQed MICKEY & MINNIE should alert most to the presence of the mouse Hilton and being it is getting used every week they will tend to find some more secluded real estate.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I cleaned a nest out of an I/C twin one time... had baby mice skeletons in it...:oops:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing I have found works about 75% of the time is mothballs. Place an open mesh bag fill with them under the hood where it won’t interfere with anything. Might be worth a try.