Mountfield sp535hw not turning left

Shaft123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hoping someone can help me.
I have a self propelled Mountfield sp535hw mower with Honda engine. It was working fine until last week when I decided to pressure washer under the deck and repaint it.
I took it out today to mow the lawn and it's not working as it should. I used to be able to tilt the mower back on its rear wheels and turn it left and right with both wheels turning freely. But now i can only turn it to the right. when I try to turn it to the left the right wheel locks up.
Any thoughts on what might be causing it and how to fix it?
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Water has penetrated into the wheels
Take them off clean & lubricate them.
Being a Mountfield it is most likely a Stiga design & Stiga service information is very hard to come by in English

Shaft123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Water has penetrated into the wheels
Take them off clean & lubricate them.
Being a Mountfield it is most likely a Stiga design & Stiga service information is very hard to come by in English
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I took the wheels off and there wasn't any water or rust or any other debris.

the cogs that the wheels sit on turn freely on their own in both direction. They can be turned in opposite direction one way but the cog on the right locks up when I turn the other way.
I did spray some lubricant on the cogs but it didn't fix the problem.
Any other ideas would be welcome.

I'll stick a short video on yt to show what I mean.

Frednunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi.

Did you get an answer for this?
Mine is doing exactly the same.

Many thanks

Fred

Frednunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I worked it out.
There are one way systems built into the small metal drive gear at each end of the drive shaft.

A pin that should slide freely perpendicular to the main shaft. That catches to internal cams on the inside of the metal drive gear.
The left hand wheel system was working ok. But the right had got rusty and jammed.
A little clean up and generous amount of white grease and it's all working as it should.

I didn't think of taking before photos, so these are after. Fully greased up.

Cheers Fred
received_1077349433123475.jpegreceived_1416589408785028.jpegreceived_503197294833806.jpegreceived_470913748166294.jpegreceived_1606978133000957.jpeg

aellas acre

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, that's my Sunday morning job sorted, thanks.