Motor swap/rebuild/replacement ?

rickpaulos

Threads
I have 2 mowers.

1999 Snapper Ninja with a Briggs Big Six that is smoking a bit.
2002 Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 220 with a Briggs 6.75 HP. Looking to sell it.

both are self propelled, the Snapper is rear wheel drive, the Troy Bilt is front wheel drive.

I prefer the Snapper. I'm wondering about dealing with the smoking.
A swap engines?
B rebuild the briggs on the snapper. I assume rings and honing the cylinder, head gasket, etc.
C look for a different replacement engine?

any advice? The two mowers' engines are very similar. Both use belt drive at the deck level so there is that similarity. What to look for in a swap?

Briggs part numbers:

snapper: Briggs Big Six 12H802 - 2677-E1 99051857
troy bilt: Briggs 6.75 hp 125K02 - 0243-E1 02102358 (the 3rd digit is hard to read)

snapper:
Looks like it could be 12M802 but I have a note that it is "H", not "M".

IMG_7019

troy bilt:
IMG_8972

the current stable:
IMG_8963

thanks,
rick

Last edited:
Threads
The Snapper is way better because of the rear wheel drive........ I assume you have the friction disc on it like the RER snappers have ??

A quick simple rebuild will be a refresh for that engine.....Chrome rings instead of standard is a must and Briggs recomends that and Briggs also says no honing..... Chrome rings are made for engines that have a lil wear and a lil out of round in the cylinder.......

If you decide that I can look up the parts you will need for the complete job..........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

rickpaulos

Threads
I do agree the Snapper is better. Yes it has the friction drive wheel. Kinda cool device, plus you get to watch it in action as you mow. And it has a carb with a throttle control, the Troy Bilt does not. The ergonomics of the drive control are much better on the Snapper. I'm able to mow my ditch without huge effort that I had with my older no-drive mower. The Snapper build quality seems better although not hugely better. The Troy Bilt is a later 2002 model. MTD took over in 2001. Paint flaking off (just like my older Troy Bilt shredders), plastic wheels, other parts rattling off. I haven't even tried the Troy Bilt in the ditch with the front wheel drive. In order to get front wheel traction I'd have to lift the mower up instead of pushing down. Just mowing on flat ground was enough to convince me to sell it. The wallyworld Brute I had a couple years ago was just junk compared to either.

I mowed some with the Snapper this afternoon. No smoking at first but after about 5 minutes it starts smoking. Kinda random, it comes and goes from a lot to none visible. I did change the oil before mowing today with Briggs 30W. That task was annoying. You have to remove the drive belt cover plate from under the deck to access the drain plug. I wonder if it was ever changed before I got it last year. 19 years of no oil changes could explain the smoking. It does have plenty of power. No visible leaks.

so yeah, I'd be interested in the parts list/price, shipping to 52404. I'm guessing head gasket, crank case gasket, rings, ... I have a ring compressor and all the regular hand tools I'd need.

The model number looks like it could be 12M802 but when I searched the www, only 12H802 comes up.

Thanks, rick

Threads
Well if the oil hasn't been changed in a long time then yes, you have some sludge in the sump... Air filters need to be changed when needed... I'll do 2 or 3 a year at my house on mine....

Dirt and dust will ruin a engine in no time.........

Ok I'll look up your parts and get back with ya.

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Your gasket kit 497316

Rings 499425 Ask if those are the chrome rings....... If not ask for the chrome rings.....

That gasket set comes with every thing you need to put your engine back together.....

Since you changed the oil and it is acting halfway right I would change the oil 1 more time and use straight 40 wt. oil.....

Then see if she still smokes... A lot of mowers smoke on start up and then clear up after a few seconds.....

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!