Motor starts to go up and down after half a hour

JohnHendrikx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi!
I have a husqvarna 2008 with an Briggs & Stratton motor model 31A6070113B1.
After half an hour the motor is decreasing and increasing the speed every second?
Next day the same issue after running half an hour.
There is a shaft on the motor wich is linked to the carburateur.
At the moment of the problem this shaft is influencing the carburateur ???
What is the function of this shaft? Or what could cause this issue?

Thanks in advance!

John

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 13

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
About 99% of the time when an engine with a constant speed governor surges like yours it's because of fuel starvation ( lack of fuel ) and it doesn't matter if it's a briggs or a V-!2 continental

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thats the governor shaft. the governor maintains the engine speed.
While it's probably not the cause of your problem, it's a symptom. most likely you're starving for fuel. running lean (too much air or not enough fuel). I'd replace the fuel filter first, if it has one. Also when the surging starts, loosen the fuel cap and see if it stops. If it does stop, your tank is not venting properly. No air in = no fuel out.

JohnHendrikx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Yes, first I thought the same, changed the fuel filter and also the fuel pump.
But still the problem. Also loosen the fuel cap has no effect.
Only after reducing the RPM for a while the motor gets normal but not for a long time.
Should the fuel filter be filled fully with fuel? I see only a bit fuel inside....
The fuel pump is running on vacuüm from the engine?

Thanks,

John

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m sorry to have to post this, but if the ideas Scrub posted do not fix the problem I suggest you find a good mechanic or shop to solve the problem. Your not understanding of how an engine works could very easily cost you more money in the long run.

JohnHendrikx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Btw, a fuel filter is a fuel filter or needs to be specific type for this engine?

JohnHendrikx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets, I globally understand the working and would like to understand it more.
As it runs smoothly first half hour the problem can't be a difficult issue.
As the engine is almost 14 years old i don't want to spent to much money and when it's over ok...!
I

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Then I’ll back out of this thread.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a fuel supply problem. One thing I might check is the oil before you start it. If the fuel is draining into the oil it will run rich until the fuel evaporates from the oil as it heats up. Do a basic tune up on it, oil, fuel filter, air filter, make sure the engine has good ventilation and grass isn't packed around it, fresh fuel topped off, new plug etc.. new hoses even from the tank to the pump. retorque the head bolts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As he surging takes a while to happen this suggests that either the fuel supply can not keep up with the demand of the engine
Or expansion is allowing an air leak to happen

The check for the latter saturate the manifold area with WD 40 from a trigger spray pack, not an aerosol can
If the engine faulters & blows white smoke you have an air leak.

For the former you have obstructions in the fuel lines, debris in the fuel tank of tank not venting to blame , even all 3 if you are really lucky