Model #HRX217HYA quick stump stop

polocash

Threads
I cannot pull cord with spark plug out. When I remove parts 13, 16 and 23, it pulls easily.
I did not try to start it like that though. I was able to start without blades on, but it quit after 2 minutes. Found key, part #25, was not installed correctly. Fixed this, but cord would not pull.

What should I do next?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Quick stump stop? Did you hit a stump with the mower?

polocash

Threads
Yes, it was about 3" thick 3" tall. It did start once without blade and stopped.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, it was about 3" thick 3" tall. It did start once without blade and stopped.
You have probably bent the crankshaft. You may want to have that confirmed before you start throwing parts at it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you'll have to give us a little more info on the parts your remove to make it easier to pull. there are multiple diagrams and they are all numbered 1 through whatever..

polocash

Threads

Each page starts with 1 and I can't copy and paste exact page. This page Rotary Blade (2). Only ordered #16 and haven't installed. The key was out of place but seemed to be in good shape, so I reinstalled it as example showed.

Turns freely without blades. Thinking starting without blades. I do plan to clean parts especially bearings. Read
carburetor cleaner.

Turning by hand appears to show a straight spin. The keys soft aluminum too break
before damage Only used aligned parts until tightened. Or ar least I saw thin a video.

Last edited:

Rich M.

Threads
Normally after hitting something hard two things can happen. The first you already mentioned with the flywheel key shearing or somewhat breaking. The other one is what Mparr mentioned about the bent crankshaft.

Depending how bad the crankshaft is bent, you might be able to do this to give you an idea on the shaft. Take out the spark plug and set it away from your work area. Turn the mower on the side and spin the blade. If you see a wobble (looking at the blade nut), your mower shaft is bent.

This is not 100 accurate. A slightly bent shaft may not be picked up by a visual inspection.

polocash

Threads
It starts and runs smooth, with first pull. Ran for 2 minutes before I turned off. This is without blade. Off to buy new blade which is needed anyways.

Last edited:

Rich M.

Threads
It starts and runs smooth, with first pull. Ran for 2 minutes before I turned off. This is without blade. Off to buy new blade which is needed anyways.
Did the new blades help?