Messed up buying a 2019 Timecutter

gregsfc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a 2019 Timecutter MX4200 built November 2018 at a dealership for $400 off the list price because it was last year's model. Delivered free with gas and oil, new battery, checked out, ready to mow. Thought that was a good deal, but I did not realize at the time that Toro had updated their Timecutter line last fall and gave them a bunch of new features and a much better look and did not imcrease list prices. I had been researching, but not the Toro brand, as I was leaning towards Ariens with the same sort of setup (V-twin and fab deck). Checked out a Timecutter at a dealership and thought I had done well. I lime Toro brand anyway, but I also didn't realize that the big mamifacturers were going to get in sort of a price war and that I could have gotten an equal 2020 model #95744 shipped free for $200 more than what I paid and $200 under list price. The two biggest new features I missed out on besides the much more modern and adult look are: dampened pumps for smoother turning and more aggressive tires as my MX4200 will barely go in reverse without losing traction. Anyway, I do have the same deck, engine, and transmission as the new model, but I should have researched and learned that Toro really stepped up their game with the 2020 model, and the one I have had no changes for five years. Live and learn.

cruzenmike

Threads
Not all is lost. New tires can be had for less than the $200 difference between your model and the new one. The dampened drive is not something that will make your operation any easier, nor will it make your cut any better. It is hard to know when you buy something whether or not a manufacturer plans to release a new model. If it was simply an issue of not doing enough research, then your lessen has been learned. I can promise you that in the price point you were shopping, you certainly got a better machine than the Ariens and your Toro should last you many years if properly cared for. If you wanted to sell your MX4200 right now for the sake of getting the newer, updated model, you will lose at least $500 on top of the fact that you paid $400 under retail at the time.

If you are interested in some new tires to address your traction issue, look at Kenda K500 Super Turf or K375 Turf Boss. I do not see anything under Carlisle other than the Turf Saver. Remember that with a zero turn, the more aggressive the tread, the more likely you are to "turf" the grass.