Maintenance

krzyg67

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone
New ventrac owner and forum user here.
I have a question. I got a ventrac 4200 VXD. Do you have your hydraulic changes done by a dealer or do them yourself.
The manual says you need a special tool and to have the dealer do it.
I basically want to change the filters and hydraulic fluid.

Thanks

Raw Dodge

Threads
I changed my own, I only did it once, but I didn't need any special tools..you need to drain from the front axle ,which was the hard part,I ended up raising the front of the machine and disconnecting the oil feed line where it threads in to the front hydraulic filter, I then removed the small bracket for the weight transfer chain and was able to let it all drain into a pan,I changed the filters while it drained and make sure you fill the front one with fresh fluid being extremely careful not to get anything in it,because that would be pulled into the main hydraulic pump without filtering on startup....the rear filter works under pressure not suction, so no need to fill it,its just a case drain filter.The rear axle has its own fluid separate from the main hydraulic system. You can see the drain and fill for it.I personally use SAE30 with about 10 percent Bestline power train additive in it..I use Amsoil 5w30 hydraulic oil in the main system with a quart of best line powertrain additive..that stuff is amazing, quiets down the hydraulic system and improves the feel and smooth operation of the entire system. One other thing if you have the turbodiesel engine make sure you fill the oil very slowly after an oil change, or disconnect the breather from the valve cover when filling either one works...

John Joseph McVeigh

Forum Newbie
Threads
The latest version of the Operator's Manual for the 4500 Series contains a significantly revised maintenance schedule for the hydraulic fluid and filters. See pp. 42-44 and 70.

Specifically, the Operator's Manual now calls for:

-- changing the Hydraulic Oil and Rear Transaxle Oil at 500 hours, and thence every 1000 hours; and

-- an initial change of hydraulic filters at 100 hours, then at 500 hours, and thence every 1000 hours.

This latest version of the Operator's Manual also states that Owners can replace the fluid and filters, with the reservation that any major work on the drive circuit must be done by an authorized Ventrac dealer because the hydraulic fluid must be run through a special filter that only authorized Ventrac dealers have.