LX280 VS X350

mjh34

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all I am new to the site and looking for some guidance. I am looking for a lawn tractor and have been researching for a month or so now. Originally I thought about buying new because of incentive deals going on and the warranty. I have recently come across a 2005 LX though with about 300 hours and it has a 44” Piranha deck. 18 hp v-twin Kawasaki Engine, new battery, blades and front tires. I like that it is a better transmission (K62) versus the K46 in a X350. I'm not looking for something to last me more than 8-10 years as I will trade up to a bigger tractor then. I can get a X350 with 42' deck and mulch kit for around $3200 after incentives or pay around $2,500 for the used 2005 LX280. The used LX280 looks to be in great cosmetic shape and from what I have been told it runs great and has been well cared for. From my research it seems the LX is a step up just a little bit compared to the X350 because of the transmission? I mow about an acre with plenty of trees and a gentle slope, I do have a ditch that is about 90 yards long on the road/yard border and that is a little steeper and about 4 yards in height by 90 yards long that I mow as well. I would not use any of the models for snow blowing as of now. I'd appreciate some guidance and tips etc.

Thanks much!

cruzenmike

Threads
A brand new John Deere signature series comes with a 4-year warranty. although the transmission in the LX is a beefier one and that transmission is usually the one item in the riding mower that's going to take the most abuse, you cannot account for all of its use and in reality the new k46 in the x350 could outlive the older transmission in the LX. The biggest concern with all of these transmissions other than demanding more than what they are capable of doing, is overheating the oil in them. Keeping the hydrostatic drive belt spinning at full speed whenever the mower is in motion and while cutting will ensure that the fan will cool the hydrostatic transmission and keep the oil from cooking. All so sudden stomping on the hydrostatic drives may also cause additional wear.

I have never owned a John Deere machine personally but I know many people who have and most of them have had little to no problems with any of their equipment.

gotomow

Threads
The Accel Deep deck on the x350 is a proven performer. Very versatile to mulch, mulch on command, side discharge and bag, John Deere also currently has their extended warranties on sale. Add 3 additional years on to your 4 year for $421.00 that gives you a total of 7 years bumper to bumper. Keep meticulous records by purchasing all your routine service needs at the dealer which they will record for you. At the end of the 7 years you will have something with a high resale or trade in value towards your bigger tractor all while knowing your fixed costs are all set. Something you cannot predict when you purchase the LX280.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd go with the new mower too. That K62 is a similar design as the smaller box and at 300 hours may be starting to get weak when hot. And for sure go with that extended warranty and at that price you might get it thrown in as part of the deal or at least a discount. Nice to have new stuff too I think.