lx 279 mower deck installation

scocope

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed my 48" deck on my lx279; pulled the j pins, slipped the belt off of the engine pulley and removed the deck. Now I can't get the deck back on. If I leave the belt off the engine, the j pins and their corresponding holes align but the belt does have enough play to go on the engine pulley. If the belt is on the pulley the deck will not slide back enough (less than 3/4" is needed) The deck height adjustment is on zero, the deck is on the down position and nothing was done to the deck except sharpening and greasing. Should the belt tensioner allow the belt to give enough for the belt to go on last or the deck to slide back (the reason I'm asking is that the drive pulley on the deck is extremely hard to swing, even harder than an automotive fan belt tensioner or timing belt tensioner) or is there something else that is causing this?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tensioners on JD decks are very tight, most feel too tight, but they are wrong. Install the deck on the tractor first and then install the belt on the clutch pulley. I have found that if I use a 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar on the tensioner pulley nut, I can pull the tensioner enough to install the belt. Watch your fingers!!!