Repairs Lubrication instructions for Scag Tiger Cat 2014

Pedidoc22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a new 2014 Scag Tiger Cat.
Reviewing maintenance requirements.

Need help with locating lubrication points and specifics on procedure.
Manual has diagram with arrows for lube points.
Does anyone know of a site with video or pictures for the exact lube points, grease type and general procedure?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The owners manual shows two types of grease, one is a general lube, the other is specifically for the deck spindles. You can use the deck spindle grease on all lube points, but the general lube is not recommended for use in the deck spindles.
Look around the spindles close to the deck top and you will find the grease fittings. Opposite the grease fittings, there is a pressure vent. The vent is there to prevent pressurizing the spindles while pumping grease into them. I have a 90 degree grease adapter that makes lubing the spindles easier.
There are grease fittings on the front wheels. The front caster swivels may have plugs where grease fittings may be installed. I'm not sure why Scag just didn't install grease fittings in the casters swivels.
There are four grease fittings, one on each of the deck lift arms, the arms have the deck suspension chains bolted to them.
The parking brake lever has one grease fitting.
Each control lever has a grease fitting at the pivot where they swing in and out.
Lift the seat up and look straight down to the rear edge of the deck and you will see a triangular support bracket on each side of the deck, they each have a grease fitting. This is an area the usually is missed, however fairly important.
Look behind each rear wheel and you will see a grease fitting on each of the parking brake actuators.
To make it easier to lube my machine, I have turned the deck support bracket grease fittings so they are facing straight up and I have installed angled grease fittings on the parking brake actuators.
I have photos of some of these lube areas on my computer and I can post them here. If you would like, I can take photos of all the lube areas to make the job easier for you when you do scheduled services on your machine.
I schedule the maintenance on my Tiger Cub to 50/100 hour. I use blank shipping labels and mark the hours for the servicing and I cross them off as the services are done. I put these shipping labels under the seat support. I do engine oil changes at 50 hours and engine oil filter changes at 100 hours. Engine air filters are done when needed.
My machine has a collection system installed and the blower fan bearings get greased with the spindle grease every 10 hours.
Have fun!!!
Mad Mackie in CT :laughing::biggrin::smile:

Pedidoc22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks

Very helpful.

I used the spindle grease and lubed my Scag. I could lube most points.

I need help with the brake actuator lube points.
I could not find the grease points behind the wheels.
Do I need to take the wheels off?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks

Very helpful.

I used the spindle grease and lubed my Scag. I could lube most points.

I need help with the brake actuator lube points.
I could not find the grease points behind the wheels.
Do I need to take the wheels off?

Unfortunately you need to remove the wheels to grease the brakes, but while you have the wheels off, you can replace the straight grease fitting with 45 degree angle fitting and position them so you can grease them with the seat lifted. Check out the pics. I also replaced the fittings on the push arms, (Fig #59) with 90 degree fittings so I can lube them easily at the same time. Just did a 50/100/200 hour service on my machine, much easier since these mods. Bear in mind that there are SAE and Metric thread grease fitting, you want SAE fittings with 1/4"X 28 threaded fittings. My grease gun has a flex hose on it, but I have a metal adapter about 6" long that I use to get onto these fittings.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:
Just looked at my Tiger Cub and I rotated the brake grease fittings inboard just a little more than these pics show which made access to them easier.

Attachments

• PA100005.JPG
    PA100005.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 81
  • PA100006.JPG
    PA100006.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 67
  • PA100008.JPG
    PA100008.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

juank

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately you need to remove the wheels to grease the brakes, but while you have the wheels off, you can replace the straight grease fitting with 45 degree angle fitting and position them so you can grease them with the seat lifted. Check out the pics. I also replaced the fittings on the push arms, (Fig #59) with 90 degree fittings so I can lube them easily at the same time. Just did a 50/100/200 hour service on my machine, much easier since these mods. Bear in mind that there are SAE and Metric thread grease fitting, you want SAE fittings with 1/4"X 28 threaded fittings. My grease gun has a flex hose on it, but I have a metal adapter about 6" long that I use to get onto these fittings.
Just looked at my Tiger Cub and I rotated the brake grease fittings inboard just a little more than these pics show which made access to them easier.

Hello guys - thank you so much for this very useful info. I was having a really hard time finding the fittings until I read this very detailed explanation. I have scag a tiger cat

a couple of questions if you're so kind to share your expertise.
for the break actuator I'm going to get the 45 degree fitting as suggested and I found this :
https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/60106?searchMode=productSearch&filterByVendingMachine=

do you think that will suffice?

also for the rest of the grease fittings sometimes it's obvious when to stop greasing (e. g spindles) but for others one can't see the grease coming off the other side of the fitting after 3 or more pumps with a regular gun (e. g the deck push arms)

would you be so kind to provide a rule of thumb for each of the grease fittings as to how many pumps with a regular grease gun will suffice every service interval?

I'm using an inexpensive lumax grease guns.

Kind Regards,
Juan Carlos

tigercat

Threads
Hello Juan

I have a machine like yours. When I grease it up, Normally it takes 1 or 2 pumps. I first wipe the fitting clean and as I pump grease in, I watch for it to push out somewhere, then I stop. Then I wipe down the area to clean it up.
The spindles I use NAPA recommended grease (I don't recall what it is) but it's the current high temp lithium grease for taper bearings. It's red in color. I pump it in about 4 pumps and I see it ooze out.

My machine is for home owner use so It doesn't have the hrs on it like other people here. But I grease the chassis and spindle bearings once a year. (hrs seem to work about to the Scag recommended maintenance schedule. The blower on my collection system gets greased every 8 hrs or once a month.

Engine oil and filter, once a year. I use SAE 30W
Hydraulic pumps, I haven't changed yet, as it looks clean. If I notice water in the oil or the oil gets dark, then I will change the oil. I use a long screw driver and drop it into the tank, as a "sight stick" to gage the oils condition. It uses SAE 20W 50 engine oil.

It's all serviced and put away, so I'm walking the darn snowblower around the property now. I'm having summer withdrawals currently.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use a pistol type grease gun with a flex hose and a 90 degree adapter. I have been lubing the machine with spindle lube and generally I will operate the area that I'm lubing to get maximum effect. For example, putting the brake lever on and off while pumping grease into the brake related areas and raising/lowering the deck as I lube deck related areas.
I recommend releasing the brake lever while the machine is in storage, this takes the stress off the brake system and thereby decrease the need for future brake adjustments.
I just put my machine in storage temporarily and noticed the R/H front tire is flat. Gotta fix it as I will need to use my machine for several final fall cleanups providing that the weather cooperates!!! I will probably install innertubes in the front tires if I can find the correct size!!
Later

juank

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello tigercat, Mackie
thanks for all your tips. if it helps
anybody - I was able to access the brake actuator grease fitting from the top without taking the wheel of but I agree it's painful. lowering the deck all the way and wearing a headlight made it a lot easier for me.

I'm just a homeowner so won't be using the machine as much but will stay on top of the maintenance- thank you guys for all the maintenance tips

kind regards,
JC

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
wearing a headlight made it a lot easier for me.

I've found a lamp is invaluable in later years too. That is if I can find my grandson and retrieve it for a few minutes. That's the first thing he asks for when he comes to visit.

Attachments

• Gage head Lamp 12-28-14.jpg
    Gage head Lamp 12-28-14.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 8