LTX1040 won't move when accelerator pedal is depressed

DHiggins21

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LTX1040 won't move when accelerator pedal is depressed
I started having an issue with my LTX1040 riding mower last summer where it was acting like I was releasing the accelerator pedal. I would have it pressed hard down and the mower would just come to a stop. If I release the pedal then press it again, it will take off like it is going to go full speed, but it immediately comes to a stop as if I don't have the pedal pressed down anymore. If I do get any movement out of it, it is very slow and eventually comes to a stop, especially if I attempt to go up the slightest bit of an incline. My upper and lower drive belts seem like they are in good condition and seem like they are as tight as they should be. I dropped the engine pulley out and messed around with a few things just to see if it was anything obvious and when I got it all back together it seemed like it was fixed but it only lasted about a minute or so then it started acting up again. I bought a new drive belt but I wanted to see if anyone on here has had this same issue before I change it out. I'd rather not spend a bunch of money guessing which parts to replace. I know it could be a number of things but I'm hoping someone can give me a better idea of where to start. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a variable speed unit which uses two belts and a variable pulley. On these units even though the belts look good they many be the cause of your problem. If your belts are three or more years old, I recommend changing them. They most be change as a set. Post back if you have other questions.

DHiggins21

Forum Newbie
Threads
You have a variable speed unit which uses two belts and a variable pulley. On these units even though the belts look good they many be the cause of your problem. If your belts are three or more years old, I recommend changing them. They most be change as a set. Post back if you have other questions.
Okay, thanks for the info! I’ll go ahead and change both belts and see of that fixes the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a MTD mower use only MTD/Cub Cadet belts.

Weedkiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Curious if that helps. I have an '09 LTX 1040 and I'm having the same issue. The short upper belt had some issues so I replaced it first (and it was easy to get to). That didn't help. Although the lower drive belt looks fine I'm going to order one and change it. Is this something an average Joe can do? I'm not a mechanic but can usually figure stuff out. Someone had said you could download a service manual from Cub Cadet but I don't see it. Any insight appreciated. Stay safe out there.

DHiggins21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Curious if that helps. I have an '09 LTX 1040 and I'm having the same issue. The short upper belt had some issues so I replaced it first (and it was easy to get to). That didn't help. Although the lower drive belt looks fine I'm going to order one and change it. Is this something an average Joe can do? I'm not a mechanic but can usually figure stuff out. Someone had said you could download a service manual from Cub Cadet but I don't see it. Any insight appreciated. Stay safe out there.
I only replaced the lower belt because it’s the only one I had at the time but it seems to have fixed the issue for now. It wasn’t too difficult. I did have to disconnect the steering column and pull it up a few inches because the belt was around it. I guess some models were made this way and some weren’t. That was the most annoying part. After that, I just dropped the drive pulley from the engine and removed the belt from it, went back and removed the upper belt to get the lower off at the back end, then swapped belts and reassembled. That’s the cliff notes of it. Someone else can probably give you more detailed instructions if needed. I’m not a mechanic either so I forget which size sockets I used and all that. The people on here are great though so I’m sure you’ll have no problem getting better info than I just gave you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
usually you have to take the upper belt of to do the lower
When both are off check the sliding part of the double pulley slides up & down easily.
Lube all of the places where something turns , slips over some thing else with dry lithium spray grease or push bike dry chain wax,
Check every pulley for wear they should spin freely, smoothly and quietly .
If you have to remove the engine pulley, clean the shaft and apply copper never size liberally to the shaft & pulley .

Weedkiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am anxiously awaiting my OEM belts ordered from CC yesterday. Thanks everyone. Stay safe and mow grass!