LTX1040 - Blowing Fuses When Connecting Battery

Diane W

Threads
Hello - I have a LTX1040 riding mower (13WX90AS056 - Model #), and everytime I go to reconnect the battery (positive first, then negative), once I get to the negative, I see small crackle sparks, but it blows the 20 amp fuse. I did previously remove the solenoid, and unplug the ignition switch, then put them all back on the mower, and now I am running into this problem. I examined all of the wires, and I do not see anything exposed that would short to ground. Could it be the ground cable running from the battery to the solenoid? Cannot figure out why it's sparking/blowing the fuse.

Diane W

Threads
The battery reads 12.5V, and when I test the voltage at the fuse holder, it is also 12.5V, so something is drawing power?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay first disconnecting the engine harness as you may have a stator that has a bad diode or bad voltage regulator. Without the engine info not sure what you have there.

Diane W

Threads
I took off the flywheel, saw black magnetic fragments, which led me to believe the magnets were not attached anymore. They're PULVERIZED!!! And the stator looks like it's been through a war. That could have been causing a short, possibly?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would say so.

Mower King

Threads
Hello - I have a LTX1040 riding mower (13WX90AS056 - Model #), and everytime I go to reconnect the battery (positive first, then negative), once I get to the negative, I see small crackle sparks, but it blows the 20 amp fuse. I did previously remove the solenoid, and unplug the ignition switch, then put them all back on the mower, and now I am running into this problem. I examined all of the wires, and I do not see anything exposed that would short to ground. Could it be the ground cable running from the battery to the solenoid? Cannot figure out why it's sparking/blowing the fuse.
"Could it be the ground cable running from the battery to the solenoid".....this could be your problem!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could you post some pictures of the magnets and stator?

Diane W

Threads
:ROFLMAO: Pretty sure nothing is ever supposed to look this terrible

Attachments

• Stator.JPG
    Stator.JPG
    697.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Flywheel Magnets.JPG
    Flywheel Magnets.JPG
    728.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Magnet.JPG
    Magnet.JPG