LT1000 Air Filter Cover - How to take off?

GiLinFtLaud

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this LT1000 mower a couple of years ago and I need to check the air filter, but the cover will not come off. Has anyone had a similar problem?

keakar

Threads
model number and/or pictures would help

is it briggs or kohler engine?

if its kohler then one of the top cover bolts goes through the air filter housing if thats what you are trying to do. if its just the filter cover then the stud can get stuck in the air filter knob and not unscrewing so the stud is unscrewing from the intake, if you keep going it will all come off enough to reach in and grab the stud so you can get the cap off

this is what the kohler looks like

Cusser

Threads
Need picture. Comes off readily on my 2005 LT1000.

GiLinFtLaud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a 2011 B&S 21 HP 540 cc engine; pic won't upload - must be too big

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like you have the following cover. Now this a sample replacement cover so has two different style mounting screws. Not necessary the same as yours but just give an idea what we looking at.
part_p_1730108_3287202463.gif

If it is one with screw with internal nuts and thread rod it will be little difficult to if they are rusted. You apply something like WD40 them and insert small tip long shank flat tip screwdriver on the underside of the engine shroud to lock the hex head of the long screw in place so it doesn't turn as you loose the top knob.

GiLinFtLaud

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that is what the cove looks like. They are rusted, so spraying lots of WD; I will give that a shot. Thanks!