LT 2042 PTO is intermittent.

draboo

Forum Newbie
Threads
When the mower is first started, the pto works fine. If I shut it off for 5 minutes after a half hour run, come back out the pto will not kick in the mower deck. I tried wiggling the switch while pulling the button out slowly. and nothing. Let it sit for an hour, and it starts working again. The clutch seems to be working fine, no noise or vibratrion. I'm speculating the switch is bad, Any other ideas? Thank you.

Brad in Myrtle Beach

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Possibly but try this first. Purchase a can of CRC Electrical Cleaner & a small tube of Dielectric Grease from you local Walmart automotive section. Remove plug from PTO switch & clean switch terminals & inside of plug with cleaner, dries quickly so hold plug down towards ground then apply dielectric grease to connection & give her a try.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is very possible you have a failing electric PTO clutch. Though fairly rare this does happen this way. I had a Cub Cadet ZTR last year with a similar failure with Warner clutch. I could mow 1/2 - 1 hour and the clutch would not engage even though it was receiving full battery voltage after this time frame.

But the first thing is to check if the voltage is present at the clutch when clutch is not working. Measure across both clutch electric terminals. If present then replace the clutch assy. Otherwise see it is a loss of 12 v in or a lost of ground.

Also Mark a note if you are working on any Toro with electric brakes. Do not apply the dielectric on the brake module MX150 terminal connection per their service manual.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the PTO coil is getting hot and failing.