Long-time self-propelled mower user looking for first riding mower

electropower

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Long-time self-propelled mower user looking for first riding mower
I have a 1/3 acre lawn that I have been mowing with a Honda self-propelled mower. I am thinking of going to a riding mower now that I'm getting older. I was hoping to get some recommendations from you experienced folks. I plan to bag the clippings, What brands/models would you recommend?

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Todays riding mowers are a crap shoot depending on how much you want to spend. What ever you purchase, please use your local dealers who can provide you services down the road. I personally would stay away from anything built by MTD or Husqvarna. You will need to do a lot of research, as they are sold under many names. Only recommendation I can give you is a Simplicity Regent for that size of lawn. Bottom line is talk everything over with the better half and then go with your gut.

Glades Cat

Threads
Do you have to mow around trees and obstacles or does your lawn lawn have mainly straight runs? A zero turn makes mowing irregular lawns and around obstacles a breeze. Otherwise, a tractor may suit your needs.
I bought an Ariens Zero turn with the Kawasaki engine. It has a welded deck with 4 point attachment and built pretty strong...and made in America. Lol
Just offering that suggestion.

electropower

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mostly straight runs, a couple trees. Thanks for the feedback.

TonyPrin

Threads
I would think about a riding mower as a multi use machine. In addition to mowing and picking up clippings, you can add a cart, sweeper and other attachments. But, consider how much space you have for stuff. Besides the mower, a cart, vacuum (for clippings) or sweeper takes up a lot of space.

Also, consider that riding mowers require considerably more maintenance than a push mower.

Finally, I decided against a vacuum for removing clippings because I had to remove it to use the cart. So, I opted for a sweeper which attaches like the cart.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Riding mowers can usually cost less than a Zero turn. I would avoid big box stores, & find a good Dealer, cause big box stores will have to ship your mower to a Dealer if there are problems, anyhow. And the Dealer isn't gonna jump on yours in front of those that bought from the Dealer..

Just things to consider.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
for a 1/3 acre property....most any riding mower will be fine. From a dealer or big Box store doesn't matter. Even the entry level models will give you 5-8 years with no problem. If you wear out a cheap one....buy another one. What it more important is the quality of cut from the deck. If you see a neighbor's yard you really like, find out what mower he is using. If your yard is flat and only a few trees to maneuver around, one of the cheaper ZT's may be fine for you. It's all about the deck. You need to be able to level the deck and keep it level. If the deck is not supported well it will tilt and cause uneven cutting. At this point I would stay clear of the Electric models. From what I have seen they are incorporating a lot of plastic ( which may crack) and there is still a issue with battery longevity. Yes you can get replacement batteries but they are expensive. Another thing to consider........for 1/3 acre you may be making more turns than you realize. The weight of a rider will crush or flatten your grass on the turns and if you repeat driving over areas that have been mowed you again flatten those areas causing a ugly finish look. John Deere and Simplicity are two of the major brands that I would consider first. Depending our your budget your might need to consider less expensive units. Even if you do the minimum maintenance, you will be fine. Nothing wrong from buying from a Box store or a dealer......in either case you will have to pay to have a rider transported in for service unless you have a truck or trailer to haul them. In 50 years of mower ownership, only once have I needed to haul a rider in for service.

sessman55

Threads
The difference between a reputable dealer and the big-box-stores is the initial set up.
The dealer will take the time to level the deck, adjust the controls, etc. and make sure the unit is ready to perform.

GrumpyCat

Threads
I bought a Country Clipper Avenue 42” ZTR for much the same reasons the O.P. describes, 1/3rd acre, trouble walking long enough to mow just the front or back.

Have borrowed lawn tractors in the past. Felt I spent half the time mowing just turning around.

The Country Clipper is about the most expensive one can find but I felt it was built best, offers joystick control (twin stick is an option), but the handrail option sealed the deal. Plus a front step. Much easier and safer to mount/dismount than any other mower I found.

Edited to add picture. You can see the handrail that I found to be so important:
Country_Clipper.jpeg

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y)