lhp5220kc boggs down when i turn on the pto

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
with engine at full throtle and exmark in park when i turn on the pto the engine boggs down really hard sometimes enough to kill it. i just replaced the plugs and the coil packs. it also has new belts cutter housings spindels pulleys. I am gonna order an rpm gauge to see how fast it is running, but it sure seems like it is running well.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
With the coils and plugs being new it is likely you have a blown cylinder gasket on that Kohler engine. But need the Kohler model and spec numbers to lookup the engine to see if there is anything else.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sound like you may not be running on all cylinders. Give this a try. Put one spark plug wire and try to start the engine, If it starts shut off, replace the wire and repeat on the other cylinder. If it only starts only on one cylinder, it doesn’t start on is good and the other cylinder is the problem. Either no spark, fuel or compression. Let us know what you find, plus post all engine numbers.

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
the engine is a kohler ch20..

thanks for the replys. i will try removing 1 plug wire and start mower. will post back shortly

graydog

Threads
Make sure each pulley is turning freely & belt is on correctly.

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
the mower will start with only 1 cylinder hooked up. either 1.

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up removing the head on number 1. Blown gasket and head had a small crack. Thinking of maybe putting a cv25 on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remember that this is a governed engine so a bigger engine will do very little other than use more fuel .
OTOH if you have the CV25 or can get it cheap then go ahead.

kurtackerman

Forum Newbie
Threads
So the cv25 would be a quick swap. 400 for the motor. They say it runs really well for what that's worth. Or 200 for the head and gasket for my cv20

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As it is coming into season, the quick swap might be a good idea lest you need to rent some big game hunter before you venture into your grass.
Check that the starters are the same & the PTO shafts are the same size and it should be a quick swap ( famous last words )
You then have the option of flogging off the old engine to some one like PT mechanic who will rebuild it & sell it or taking your time , pulling it down inspecting properly and rebuilding.
The problem with the latter is rebuild kits for Kohlers are not as cheap as Briggs ones are so rebuilds can get quite expensive very quickly.