Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter

FredBacher

Threads
  • / Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter
So, details..

A neighbor came by and said I could have his old edger since he is now too old to do his own lawn and says his son didn't want to put the effort into getting it running again. Told me it was rough to start, if it would start at all, and no one wanted to be bothered.

This is what I am working with here:
Picture 2:
It's a 1980s Craftsman walk behind edger. What I have done so far:

Drained the gas and fuel. Turned it basically upside down for the gas and on its edge for the oil.

Refilled the oil with synthetic. 5w-30 listed on the unit so that is what I used

Refilled the gas with ethanol free unleaded (hooray for Wawa having it at every station down here!)

Added 2oz of Seafom to the tank

New spark plug

It now starts and runs but only with the throttle set to high. I was able to use it to trim the edges near the sidewalk, so far a huge sucsess over it sitting in his garage unable to start or work for years.

The guy also had a new air filter and this is where I am running into problems. With the old air filter, which is ancient looking, rusty, and entirely not clean:
Old filter: Second pic: New filter:
With the new one on it putters for a bit then shuts off.
Three videos (with sound you just need to enable it)
1) Old filter, then it being removed: 2) New filter showing how fast it turns off: I could keep it going fora little but with the choke but once I moved it closed it shuts down
3) Back to old filter running fine:
So, where do I go from here? My research points towards needing to rebuild/clean the Carburetor but that is where my knowledge stops, not sure how to proceed with that, but thats why I am here.

Here are a bunch more pictures to see more closeups of the unit <- Click that and you can see the fuel line and air filter locations, I am guessing the carb would be behind that for the mixing point?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Learning on a 1980s Craftsman Edger - I have it running! Want to get it running better. Turns off with new air filter
First thing I would do is get another new filter, as that one may look new but if it sat around out of the box it could very well be clogged due to moisture corruption.

FredBacher

Threads
Do you have any idea how to find this model number online? I am searching for "536.871100" and it's almost like this thing doesn't exist. I have found other vingage models and things similar but this one appears to be a phantom lost to time. Was hoping to find the original manual or scans or part lists to help things get going.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The engine starts to die as soon as you remove that old filter. That filter is restricting the air flow enough that, mixed with the inadequate amount of fuel being fed by the carburetor, it happens to be enough to be a combustible mixture. When the air filter is remove, the mixture becomes too lean to run.

Carburetor needs a thorough cleaning.

bogdaN

Threads
carburetor on that edger is it bowl or diaphragm?. If you have diaphragm that is same rebuilt kit like old Toro S-200 snowblower .

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 536. prefix was for a company called "Noma", which got absorbed by Murray.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Sears Parts Direct and type in your model number, they will get you a parts diagram. On the engine shroud, top or side, you will find a model number for the engine. You will the find the parts numbers you need.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine is a Tecumseh. Take a closer pic of the numbers stamped here in the top cover, or type up the numbers.
2snip.PNG

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take a better pic of the carb, and we can tell you where the mixture screws are. Backing them out a tad will likely get you running.

upupandaway

Threads
I have one of these(just a few years newer).
If you have too much trouble getting the original diaphragm carb to work you could replace the whole carb- carb
or else(which i did) the tecumseh bowl carb fits so u could replace it with that - bowl carb