lawnmower wont stop in gear

DavidT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2011 troy bilt pony riding lawnmower and I just put new drive belts on and now even with the brake pressed the mower still moves in gear. I tightened the brake and it still moves. it also is hard to take out of gear even with the brake all the way depressed. I think the variable speed pulley is bad, but don't know how to check. I put lithium grease on the shaft and the middle pulley moves up and down better, but did not help. Any advice

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake / clutch pedal is not moving the idlers far enough to allow the lower drive belt to slip on the engine pulley
or
The cover on the lower belt has deteriorated enough that the sticky rubber is now running on the pulley
Lock the brake on , get under the mower and try moving the belt by hand ( engine off obviously )

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect you may have routed the long belt coming from the engine wrong. It should not move until you start pushing down on the speed pedal. Bert beat me to it. If you post back include tractor model numbers.

DavidT

Forum Newbie
Threads
i just put new belts on top and bottom on the drive assembly... my lawnmower is 13WN77KS0011..I have a manual lawnmower that has a clutch/brake and yellow lever to adjust between 7 speeds. the older belts did do this, but it was getting to where it would not fully engage in the gear...the clutch would partially release and after a few seconds or so then would fully move into the gear i put it in.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay let me ask OEM or aftermarket belts? Also check that the engine pulley is not bent. Many DIYers will force the belt on or install the engine pulley incorrectly and then reinstall it correctly with it getting bent.

Aftermarket belts do give a lot problems on MTD mowers are they are not to MTD specs.

DavidT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have aftermarket belts on there now. I ordered OEM from troybilt. I did a visual and they appear to be the same size, but not a 100%. when I changed the belts, I did it like the instructions show. I am wondering if the aftermarket belts are just a tad shorter than OEM, since it only did this after I put the new ones on or if maybe I do need to adjust the brake/clutch bar length so it will disengage better. I am hoping I do not need to buy a new variable speed pulley assembly since they are over $100.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When installing belts on these units, many DIYers will put the belt over, not under the belt guide, which will cause the problem.