Lawnboy 1963 D470 Rebuild

Hockeynut227

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Guys, I'm trying to get my 1963 D470 running, came into compression problems. Low compression 60 lbs. I have installed NOS cylinder,piston and rings(3). Also new case gaskets and crank seals along with a new reed and carb gaskets.I have rebuilt carb with needle valve and seat, float and gasket. New coil, points and condenser. Ring end gaps are .015 staggered and on solid material in cylinder not on any ports. Still seems to me not enough compression to start, 60 lbs. A few times I did have luck and it started but most times it won't start. My cylinder prep was light hone clean up wall, end gaps are .015. There is no needle bearings on crank shaft just brass bushings and seems to be no play at crank, new seals are installed. Anything I might be overlooking ?

Hockeynut227

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your compression is not to low as normal compression is 65 psi. You will need to test to see if you are lacking fuel or spark in the cylinder. Then we can go from that point. Since this engine has a spark advance I would check to see if the points are set properly. If you don’t have one this manual will be of some help.
My points are set at .020. I'll have to check my carb/fuel supply again.

Rivets

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check the section on ignition in the manual I posted, these engines are a little bit different as to how you set timing and point gap.