Kubato ZG 123S Mulch Kit ?

jaamm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a ZG 123S and installed a blank off so I could mulch and possibly avoid the cost of the mulch kit. However I can't stand the grass getting all over me while I mow. My question to you guys that use the mulch kit does this solve the problem of grass getting all over the driver. If so I will make the purchase but I don't want a $200 mulch kit that blows grass all over me. Your input and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks

cruzenmike

Threads
99% of all mowers that re sold re equipped with a 2-1 blade this is designed to do one thing and one things only; move clipping out from under the deck. This means either discharging or bagging, but either way these medium to high lift blades are all about utilizing the discharge chute to do just that, discharge. True mulching blades create less lift and are designed to hold the blades under a deck so that they can be recut and pushed back down into the turf, rather than to be pushed out the side. Mulching is a tricky game to play as it only goes well when all variables are just right; grass height, moisture in turf, mowing speed, cutting height, etc.. But, if done right and with the proper blade AND deck configuration it can work very well. Mix and match different setups and results will vary, typically not in your favor. If you must mulch, your best bet would be to purchase the OEM mulch kit and now as frequently as you can. The results should be acceptable. So long as your mulch kit does not completely isolate each blade in its own chamber, you can always remove just the plate with the mulching blades still on for a little side discharge action if the grass is a bit longer but you will still have to slow it down a bit as the mulching blades do not process clipping as efficiently because of the reduced airflow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree, a mulch kit will solve most of your problem if used properly.

jaamm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies. I decided to purchase the mulch kit. I had mulched previously with my Toro ZT and am familiar with the results. I will let you know if the kit solves the grass all over the driver problem.

cruzenmike

Threads
Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

jaamm1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Update on my mulch kit install and performance. The install was not complicated but somewhat labor intensive do to having to remove the deck( having been a past Toro ZT owner with a stamped deck there is a lot of difference in the weight of the deck}. The performance was very good. The only reason it doesn't get an excellent review is because my deck was't set properly. I should state that I'm mowing 3/4 acre of very thick St. Augustine grass. I believe once I get the deck at the proper setting it will easily achieve an excellent review. Best of all the driver wasn't covered in grass when he finished cutting. The primary reason for the purchase was to eliminate the grass all over the driver. Mission accomplished.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the update. I’m sure it will help others in the future.