Kohler Engine Oil Filter

motomike

Threads
I have a new GT50. This is the first tractor engine I've had with an oil filter. Are aftermarket filters ok to use on these? I know the factory filter is more expensive and I won't hesitate to use it if its necessary. If aftermarket is the way to go, is one brand better than others? Any to stay away from?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I avoid anything with the word Fram on it. I also don't use the no name ones off ebay. Don't know about their quality, i just don't use them. Never had a problem with a stens filter. Kohler and Briggs don't make filters. Somebody makes them for them. Probably all made overseas. Biggest thing is if your OEM filer has an anti drainback valve you should make sure the replacement one has it too.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had one Purator filter to leak massively after only one week on my truck. No leaks when I first installed. OH fun to lose a qt and a half on a minute drive.

motomike

Threads
Right, I haven't used Fram for anything in yrs. Purolator used to be my "go to" brand if OEM wasn't an option. Not sure anymore, seems things have changed since Mann Hummel bought the company?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All I can suggest is to use OEM filters when ever possible. I get flak every time I say this, but as a servicing tech I’ve only once had a problem, which was a manufacturer defect. I just want to make sure my work is not compromised by an unknown product. The choice is yours.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never had a problem with Fram....

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have one cust who wants all OEM on their JD X739. I don't get a break on JD parts. $56 air filter pre filter $10. $20 oil filter. Another cust say AM fine. Stens air filter $20 with prefilter. oil filter $8. They look identical to Kaw OEM. I use whatever customer wants. Never had a problem with name brand AM. Got burned years ago buying some cheap air filters for Kohlers off Ebay. Went in the trash.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never had a problem with Fram....
Fram used to be really good. But when Honeywell bought them it went in the dumpster. Like every company Honeywell buys and rapes. It has changed owners 3 or 4 times. Now Trico owns them. Zombie brand now. Search utube for Fram oil filters and see vids of guys cutting them open and compare to other filters.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time Fram spin-ons were the #1 counterfeited filter. Genuine Fram filters were probably nowhere near as bad but you couldn't tell if you bought a real Fram unless you cut it open.

I use Baldwin a lot. They are very good filters and many times are priced less than cheap filters. On their website, they also tell you what to look for to tell if you have a counterfeit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At present he Stens filters are made by Champion in the USA, or so my rep tells me.
I use them mainly because they are sold in trade packs so I can sell them to my customers cheaply and still make the the same mark up in dollars .
I can get genuine B & S oil filters in trade packs & keep one of both sizes out of which I have used 8 long ones because I have a customer with Vanguard that the generics don't fit properly.
Prior to that I got Rotary branded filters from RGS ( local wholesaler ) and they are made in Mexico or so the box says.
Kawasaki tried to pull the "aftermarket parts void warranty" trick on one of my customers so I told my rep, 2 days latter they shipped me a new head .

What I do find hard to understand is the same person will happily put expensive oil @ $ 20 / l intheir mower then baulk at a filter that is $ 6 dearer .