Kohler ECV 730 - bogs under load

mczar07

Threads
Hello!

I just picked up a "new to me" Lazer Z 60" with Kohler EFI engine. This is my first time into the EFI world for mowers so bare with me.

It was only running on one cylinder. Found a coil pack arcing at the boot to the block. I put some heat shrink on the boot and it stopped the arcing. New coils are on the way.

It seemed to run fine at an idle so I took it out for a test run in the yard. Found that it has a significant bog/rich condition under load. You can slowly creep the throttle up and achieve full throttle without the blades on but as soon as it senses a certain load percentage (this is a hunch) it skips a beat and bogs hard and blows some black smoke. You can throttle down and bring the rpm back up slowly and get back to previous rpm but any obscure load and it does the same thing. If you creep the throttle up with the blades on, you can get roughly half throttle before it dives hard.

Fuel pressure was out of spec low by 2 psi so ordered new pump. Running pressure seems low with new pump when looping in pressure gauge to pump outlet but not sure what this spec should be as I cant find any reference in the service manual. I took off the throttle body and intake and ran through the ultrasonic cleaner since the previous owner was also running it without any intake filter.... checked compression, both cylinders at 150 psi. Replaced spark plugs. Hooked the injectors up to a 12v pulse machine and also ran them through the ultra sonic cleaner while pulsing to clear them out of any deposits. reassembled everything with new fuel filter, checked all fuel lines were clear and lift pump was working properly. Had to rebuild the starter so the grounds and power supply were checked, cleaned and reinstalled. Once the intake was put back together with air filters, I did an ECU reset and TPS relearn to the best of my ability and still the bog persists...

I have yet to check the O2 sensor for proper functionality but the check engine light is not on. I have verified the CEL does work properly. Although I am curious, when I unplug the O2 sensor, it does not seem to affect the condition of the engine while running. Nothing changes and no CEL so I am assuming it does not continuously check the sensor signal, rather, the heater circuit within the sensor? Makes me question if the O2 sensor is bad but not bad enough to trip a CEL or code.

Any help would be appreciated.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
as soon as it senses a certain load percentage (this is a hunch) it skips a beat and bogs hard and blows some black smoke.
She's running rich. Look for vacuum leaks. EFI might be trying to over compensate for a vacuum leak.
Fuel pressure was out of spec low by 2 psi so ordered new pump.
2psi? Don't think it required replacement. Unless is was deficient in fuel volume??. This is what you need to check, volume. Also your gauge probably isn't calibrated. Yup 2psi is low per the spec per your words. Is it enough to cause your issue??
I took off the throttle body and intake and ran through the ultrasonic cleaner since the previous owner was also running it without any intake filter.
Ummm, ummm, ummmm. Do we need to touch on this one?

I would look into your O2 sensor. Need to get a wideband O2 meter. See what the A/F ratio really is. Again from up top you said it was lazy and puffing black smoke.

Or that is some dumb EFI system that doesn't read the O2?? Like an old school mechanical FI.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
39 psi +or-3 psi Most of the time when you unplug the O2 sensor it will run ok.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would fondle the wires from the O2 back up to where it originated from. Feel for zips in the wire. Computer and any EFI modules grounded cleanly. Main battery ground supreme.

Is this liquid cooled? Is there an engine temp or coolant temp sensor on this hooptie?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would not read anything as it is running in open loop only reads through O2 sensor in closed loop
39 psi +or-3 psi Most of the time when you unplug the O2 sensor it will run ok.
Take the vent hose off the top of the fuel pump module and see if it has fuel in it. Should not have, vents into the intake and would cause this problem.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It would not read anything as it is running in open loop only reads through O2 sensor in closed loop

Take the vent hose off the top of the fuel pump module and see if it has fuel in it. Should not have, vents into the intake and would cause this problem.
you might take a hose and put it on the vent fitting and put it in a bottle or something and start and run the engine and see if it clears up.

mczar07

Threads
She's running rich. Look for vacuum leaks. EFI might be trying to over compensate for a vacuum leak.

2psi? Don't think it required replacement. Unless is was deficient in fuel volume??. This is what you need to check, volume. Also your gauge probably isn't calibrated. Yup 2psi is low per the spec per your words. Is it enough to cause your issue??

Ummm, ummm, ummmm. Do we need to touch on this one?

I would look into your O2 sensor. Need to get a wideband O2 meter. See what the A/F ratio really is. Again from up top you said it was lazy and puffing black smoke.

Or that is some dumb EFI system that doesn't read the O2?? Like an old school mechanical FI.
Ok so I replaced the O2 sensor and no change, installed the new injectors, no change, coils came in so those as well, no change. Did an ether test to find vacuum leaks with no indication of a leak.

mczar07

Threads
I would fondle the wires from the O2 back up to where it originated from. Feel for zips in the wire. Computer and any EFI modules grounded cleanly. Main battery ground supreme.

Is this liquid cooled? Is there an engine temp or coolant temp sensor on this hooptie?
Checked all grounds with none looking corroded or loose. O2 wires wiggled while running well and while running poorly with no change in either circumstance. No coolant but it does have an external oil cooler.

mczar07

Threads

I checked the vent hose and it appeared damp but no fuel running out. I ran the engine with the vent hose removed and it acted exactly the same. Could this indicate there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the vent line to throttle body? I did replace this hose due to it breaking upon disassembly. Inspecting now

mczar07

Threads
I checked the vent hose and it appeared damp but no fuel running out. I ran the engine with the vent hose removed and it acted exactly the same. Could this indicate there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the vent line to throttle body? I did replace this hose due to it breaking upon disassembly. Inspecting now
Ok the hose is before the butterfly valve so it doesn't see vacuum really. I did find a chewed up oring on the map sensor. Attempted repair with slightly bigger oring and now I have a map sensor on order ?‍♂️