Kohler CV16S govenor problems

Threads
I was given a Yardman 42" mower with a Kohler CV16S, the guy told me he replaced the o-ring on the governor shaft and now it revs wide open if I put it in full throttle. Like wide open it will blow up, when I return the throttle to idle it idle's no problem. When I start the deck the rpms drop and when I disengage it it returns to screaming again like the governor isn't doing anything. Any ideas? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome
Shows why he is giving them away
The governor rod has an OIL SEAL # 1203201S Not an O ring.
So that would be a good place to start.
Also Please go to your other post and hit the "Delete" in the bottom left corner.
Double posting will not get you any more answers, it just confuses people and makes them less likely to offer you any help

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll stick to this thread, less confusion. Since you said you tried adjusting the governor, is it possible to post some pictures of the linkages, especially those of the controls, governor and carb. May have the linkage screwed up.

Threads
For some reason when I try to upload pictures it says the file size is too large.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try resizing the pictures in a PDF format.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert is correct, as you can see computers are not my strong suit. Sorry.

Threads
Sorry for no reply, I got busy with other projects but I got back to this mower tonight and I was going to swap the engine out for another one since I have a whole barn full of mowers. When I pulled the engine out I heard something rattling around inside, so I opened the case and it was the pin that goes on the end of the governor gear shaft and the governor gear was tipped upside down along side the balance shaft. Now I was tempted to put it back together since all the parts look good but I have read in other threads that the gear is supposed to click into the groove in the governor gear shaft. I can feel the place it's supposed to lock into but it doesn't snap in place. Is that normal or will I need a new gear? I'm thinking what happened here was when the P.O replaced the governor shaft seal he let the cross shaft drop allowing the governor gear and pin to slide right off the shaft.