Kobalt 40V MAX push mower having issues.

JWolf2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, I am new here, been looking all over the net and YouTube for help on this.

Is there some sort of blowout diagram for this mower, explaining how to disassemble and reassemble it? I tried to start it today and it didn't run..fully charged battery, pushed and held the button and pulled the handle and no start up. So me being me, I tried to disassemble it. It went fine until I disassembled the start button/safety lockout button. When it opened, the spring or something popped out and I couldn't see how it was put together inside to put it back together properly. I got it back together but I don't think I got it right, because the button doesn't depress as it did before.

Also, even after I took out the bolts of the 'engine'case, I could separate it to see if there were any cords disconnected or if some rodent go in there and chewed some wires.

I also can't find a place to get replacement parts for it. All Lowe's offers for me is just new blades.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
start by finding the model and serial. Google that and find an online parts manual for it.

JWolf2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
start by finding the model and serial. Google that and find an online parts manual for it.
I tried that and found a handful of the same manual, it is just an owners manual. Doesn't offer any type of help on that matter.

Evil Spirit

Threads
Unfortunately, Kobalt is one of Lowes "stepchild" home brands which often have little actual product or parts support. Sometimes they have no intention of selling individual parts for it, so they don't release parts or full assembly manuals.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
Kobalt is made by the same company (Sun) that also makes Greenworks, which do sell replacement parts, so there's a possibility that you can find an equivalent Greenworks model. As to the "blowout diagram", the closest you can hope for is an exploded view of the parts, but you won't find assembly instructions. IOW, they don't make proper shop manuals for these things. Keep trying to re-assemble the switch box assembly, otherwise you will need to buy a new one, and even then you will need to open it to attach the wires and bail bar cable. You can test to see if the switch was the problem by shorting the wires inside the box. If it still doesn't start, the problem lies elsewhere. Good luck.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW reading this thread I think many of these electrical replacement items are not going to have many parts available. I recently had a new battery operated Toro weedwacker fail which was just under a year old. The head blew apart. I thought maybe I could get the plastic part that failed but the head is not available from Toro. Fortunately the big box store swapped the whole unit rather than me having to ship it back to Toro for replacement. The same happened on a Bosch / Skill circular saw I bought a couple years ago. The parts list showed the defective part but the manufacturer doesn't carry the part. We have gotten into a new level of throw away. Even my Acura dealer tells me that they have some parts they have been waiting on for 2+ years now. I have been waiting on a part for mine for a year. I think many of these problems have been coming because of our obsession with buying made in China devices for some time now. Many manufacturers there sell completed units to American companies, with no intent of servicing the units.

JosephBudd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey, I am new here, been looking all over the net and YouTube for help on this.

Is there some sort of blowout diagram for this mower, explaining how to disassemble and reassemble it? I tried to start it today and it didn't run..fully charged battery, pushed and held the button and pulled the handle and no start up. So me being me, I tried to disassemble it. It went fine until I disassembled the start button/safety lockout button. When it opened, the spring or something popped out and I couldn't see how it was put together inside to put it back together properly. I got it back together but I don't think I got it right, because the button doesn't depress as it did before.

Also, even after I took out the bolts of the 'engine'case, I could separate it to see if there were any cords disconnected or if some rodent go in there and chewed some wires.

I also can't find a place to get replacement parts for it. All Lowe's offers for me is just new blades.
Mine does that because the clips that hold the push handle in the extended position are worn. I just pull on the handle to get it to work. Now the part that locks the handle in position cracked and needs replaced on mine. It's falling apart.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
If it's the twin-blade mower (and perhaps other models) the cable for the deadman either stretches or the bracket bends. I had to put a twist in the cable to effectively shorten it - started fine for 2-3 years after that. (it since lost too much plastic underneath and started 'mohawking' the grass - it had to go)