Kholer Courage 22 - new carb - idle perfect - off idle hunting

GroundLoop

Threads
  • / Kholer Courage 22 - new carb - idle perfect - off idle hunting
Just replaced the carb on my Yardman (Cub Cadet) RZT-50. Original carb was running VERY rich and engine was hard to start. Repaired it once and did not feel like fixing it again. Installed new carb, gaskets on both sides of carb, and fuel filter. Gas is new. Idle is perfect but off idle to full speed the engine is hunting most of the time. Engine speed goes up and down every few seconds. Can see the linkage going up and down. Does it with the blades engaged or not.

Sounds to me like it is running lean. Looked at the manual for the motor and it says there is no way to adjust the fuel mixture. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Scroll down page for your engine manual, let us know how it goes, Thanks, Mark
Scroll down page for your RZT50 Cub Cadet Service Manual

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Clone or OEM carburetor? Either that why I have micro bits here for.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, it is running lean on the main jet. As has been asked, OEM or aftermarket? Many AM carbs for kohlers are not jetted properly. While it is hunting try pulling the choke out slowly. If it stops hunting definately running too lean.

GroundLoop

Threads
It is an aftermarket carb carefully selected from Amazon by reading reviews. Repaired other small engines by replacing carbs from Amazon and had great results.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well you just been lucky up to now. Clones are notoriously faulty in one or another. And when they preset a carburetor mixture, Loctite, and break off the adjustment screw doesn't help either.

I had customer that brought an used mower from a competitor shop that old carburetor was needing repaired. I sent the mower back to them for repairs they proceed to do the same thing you did. It made the problem much worst. They threw their hands up and surrendered. So the customer brings the mower to me. I had to resize the jets to resolve the surging problem after I verified the static governor and ilde speed adjustments were set properly. He actually had spend an extra $400 on a $850 mower purchase to straighten out all the problems with that the other did not fix before the sale. What a con job.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is an aftermarket carb carefully selected from Amazon by reading reviews. Repaired other small engines by replacing carbs from Amazon and had great results.
I have had very good luck with Honda type aftermarket carbs and about 50% good luck with carbs for Briggs engines. I have had 0% luck with aftermarket kohler carbs. EVERY one of them has been jetted wrong. Mowers usually come in because customer replaced OEM with Amazon carb. I can drill out one jetted too lean but not ones running rich. I have wasted many hours on knock off kohler carbs. And do you really believe Amazon reviews?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have had very good luck with Honda type aftermarket carbs and about 50% good luck with carbs for Briggs engines. I have had 0% luck with aftermarket kohler carbs. EVERY one of them has been jetted wrong. Mowers usually come in because customer replaced OEM with Amazon carb. I can drill out one jetted too lean but not ones running rich. I have wasted many hours on knock off kohler carbs. And do you really believe Amazon reviews?
Yep.
Every day you get the spam from IT hackers who for a few US $ will give you 100% good feedback on ebay or amazon.
Any retail system that allows the vendor to hide their real identity is purpose built for selling stolen , counterfeit or defective goods .
Allibaba OTOH and AlliExpress and Made in China all requir real names from their vendors so funny enough you only get good parts from them

GroundLoop

Threads
So does anyone have any recommendations? I still have the old carb. Could I take the jet out of the old carb and put it in the new one? Drill out the jet on the new one?