Comparison Keep my Grasshopper 727K2 or...

F150Fan80

Threads
Hey everyone!!

I'm trying to figure out what I would like to do with my current setup. I live in the I80 corridor of IL. I have about 2.25 acres that I mow for my lawn. I have a Grasshopper 2007 727K2 with a manual adjust 61" front mount deck. I use a 2009 Polaris Ranger with a steel cab and a manual adjust plow for snow removal in the winter. The mower has about 880 hours on it but still mows well overall, however I don't think the deck was ever setup properly and I don't have a manual for the machine itself since I bought it used. I have changed the head gaskets on the Kohler Command Pro. These are known for doing that. It also has some other issues right now, you can see my other post on that.

I would love to clear up some room in my shop and try to find something that can do all I need to do. I don't use the Ranger for much other than snow removal anymore. It rarely comes out at all. The Grasshopper is out for all the mowing needs but thought that it could be used for snow removal as well. The option from Grasshopper that would fit my machine is a 60" wide singe stage blower. Single stage blowers do well enough but I get a couple of drifting spots that can be more than what it could take. I then thought about looking into an older John Deere tractor (400 series, 425, 445, 455, X485, etc). I know the 455 decently as my old land lord had one that I used quite extensively. I know that I can get a nice 47" two stage blower that should eat whatever I throw at it. I know that my mowing time would increase some with a tractor versus a zero-turn tractor but I think that the overall increases in use from the tractor would be better all around and I could get rid of the Ranger as it's not really used currently.

I had a blade and blower (Model 412) for it once but it was a 42" or 48" and the drive tires would stick out past the blade. This caused the tractor to sort of float on the outside edge of the tires and I could not get traction for the life of me. I too have bar tires, these were the floating ones, but they are more than half wore at this point. I wonder if I could find the 60" blade instead of the 48" and see how it does. I still think that a blower would be a good asset as well since you can only push snow so high with these machines and a blade. I also still wonder if the Deere would be the way to go with a two-stage blower instead of a single-stage blower.

My main question is this, would the Grasshopper be enough for the snow removal or should I look into a good quality older tractor that can do more things (possible tiller, front blade, even loader) instead? I’m really looking for feedback on this as it has been bugging me for a while now. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7011.jpg
    IMG_7011.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 8

F150Fan80

Threads
Also, if I keep the Grasshopper what tires would anyone recommend? I have bar tread tires currently and was thinking about HDAP tires if I can find them. They would have to do well in snow and grass. I have had some flotation issues with the bar tread in the past. I had the 412 snow blower and the 48" blade and the tires would just stick out past the edges causing the tractor to float in the snow.

F150Fan80

Threads
I had hoped for some input but maybe I didn't try the right forum. Thanks everyone for looking.

Rickw

Threads
I was Leary of the blower do to being a single stage also. But after running the 60" unit for 4 yrs I would not use any other! It is a beast. I have had to clear heavy snow 2.5' deep that plow truck packed into the end of drive. You just have to slow down in the heavy wet deep stuff. I have cleared drifts out that were 3' high. If snow is sopping wet the shoot will clog up. But I mean dripping wet. And you can find a used like new one for under $1000.00 There seems to be a 4' or 5' on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace all the time. I would say the blower is a no brainer!

ErnieN85

Threads
I was Leary of the blower do to being a single stage also. But after running the 60" unit for 4 yrs I would not use any other! It is a beast. I have had to clear heavy snow 2.5' deep that plow truck packed into the end of drive. You just have to slow down in the heavy wet deep stuff. I have cleared drifts out that were 3' high. If snow is sopping wet the shoot will clog up. But I mean dripping wet. And you can find a used like new one for under $1000.00 There seems to be a 4' or 5' on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace all the time. I would say the blower is a no brainer!

I have to agree, I have used mine for four years now and it works great. you can get a manual for the tractor and mower deck from Grasshopper tech the will need your model & serial numbers and will email a PDF manual.
I have the power lift & rotator and had some issues installing that. however the manual lift and rotator do work ok. just takes more time to adjust

F150Fan80

Threads
Thank you for the replies!!! I had a couple leads on a 60" but lost those. I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist and Facebook. How is traction with your machines in the snow? I have the bar tread tires and don't remember having good traction with them in the snow. I had the more narrow blade and blower for it about 5 years ago and always found myself losing traction because the tires stuck out past the blade and blower a little.

Rickw

Threads
I have not had problems with the 5' blower. I have not tried the 4' yet. I guess on the first pass it could be a problem. After that only 1 tire would be in some snow. I was thinking of cutting some rubber mud flap material and extend the wings down to get a little wider cut.

F150Fan80

Threads
What tires are you currently using?

ErnieN85

Threads
I"m using the turf tires. I have chains but fairly use them as they will tear up the pavement a bit. I try not to blow going down hill easier to get stuck)
if I do run into a problem, picking up the blower puts a lot of weight on the drive wheels and gets me out

Rickw

Threads
I run bar tires with no chains. I get plenty of traction. Here is what I did on my 48” blower

Attachments

• 2FF9A11C-4A98-4996-A238-19F1C63976BA.jpeg
    2FF9A11C-4A98-4996-A238-19F1C63976BA.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
  • C0189B52-A370-493C-A4FE-75B1CC4B4AC3.jpeg
    C0189B52-A370-493C-A4FE-75B1CC4B4AC3.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 8