Repairs K61 flush or change?

95simplicity

Threads
Have searched here and there found many different suggestions. So thought to try a vote thread of my own.

95 Broadmoor k61 trans. 400hrs. Mow hilly terrain (mostly all hills). Fluid in all four tires. Last year, stopped pulling when least bit warm. Kept maintained and clean. However, like a dummy I regularly took to car wash and washed underneath rear fender, etc.

Pulled trans. Fan clean but some grass build up on trans fins. Drained fluid. Very dark (black) seemed thick and smelled "bad" and was frothy. Given above can water get in? Magnet picked up no metal.

1. Bite bullet buy trans. 250 used 1000 new. Used no warranty but "guaranteed to work". Will change fluid. I'm on fixed income and 1000 is almost half of my take. So eat or buy new trans.
2. Is it worth it to try flush and fill? Flush as best i can. (plan to use Mobil 0w/20w synth) Should I use some type of cleaner as well (like seafoam)? Plan to put qt in spin pulleys and axles (still have tires on). Drain then fill with 5w20 Mobil synthetic per instructions I have read. Also is it worthwhile to pull the pan and clean/change the filter. Would have to order those parts.

Suggestions greatly appreciated and tia.
Tony

edited. Italics added/changed.

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Only put in what you intend to run in it... synthetic motor oil is widely used... I would go with a good multi viscosity like 5w 40 or 5w 50, but I wouldn't 'flush' with anything that is not going to stay in it (it's a very small capacity) ...
As for water getting into it, you would have a frothy gray color, not black.... And moisture will not stay with a hydraulic system long, the heat will usually steam it out...

Cooling fins & fan are critical .. . They have a tough time dumping heat, that's another reason I would go with the multiviscosity oils... :smile:KennyV

95simplicity

Threads
Only put in what you intend to run in it... synthetic motor oil is widely used... I would go with a good multi viscosity like 5w 40 or 5w 50, but I wouldn't 'flush' with anything that is not going to stay in it (it's a very small capacity) ...
As for water getting into it, you would have a frothy gray color, not black.... And moisture will not stay with a hydraulic system long, the heat will usually steam it out...

Cooling fins & fan are critical .. . They have a tough time dumping heat, that's another reason I would go with the multiviscosity oils... :smile:KennyV

@KennyV Thanks for the very quick reply. Yeah my thought was the 0w would help thin and flush out the old fluid since it is very thin. And it is multivis (Mobil 0w20 synth). Very similar to the 5w20 I would fill with. (should I really use 5w40 or 50?. My thought was to go as thin as possible.) I would drain that 0 as well and the majority should drain. Might flush it twice; once with the 0w20 and then the 5w???. I don't know maybe overkill. I agree the water would most likely dissipate but was thinking it may have done it's damage beforehand.

I edited my original post to be more clear include using a cleaner during flush and also changing the filter.

The fluid just looked way too black and thick to me. Seemed that could be my problem. Just was wondering if it was worth the time, effort and expense (synth ain't cheap) to flush/fill or if y'all thought trans was most likely damaged. Again thanks for the input

As for the capacity, I think its over 3L or around 4qt. I think will have to check specs. I know about that much drained.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It 'May' be damaged...
The 5w 40 Synthetic will flow at a 5w throughout the full heat range.... 5w will loose some of its viscosity as it heats up... Hydro systems have less ability to transmit power with thin oil. I would go with the multiviscosity. & realize that it may be too late for a simple oil change to solve the problem... :smile:KennyV

95simplicity

Threads
It 'May' be damaged...
The 5w 40 Synthetic will flow at a 5w throughout the full heat range.... Hydro systems have less ability to transmit power with thin oil. I would go with the multiviscosity. & realize that it may be too late for a simple oil change to solve the problem... :smile:KennyV

Thanks again. Yeah I realize it may be too late. Wish I had changed it when I first noticed the problem. I can't find Mobile 1 5w40 around here except what they call "for turbo disel". So I'll prolly go with 5w30. Funny, I thought thinner was better for hydros. Learned something again.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't find Mobile 1 5w40 around here except what they call "for turbo disel".

Turbo Diesel or Mobil1 Delvac1 are both great synthetic engine oils... as is Shell Rotella T6... :smile:KennyV

95simplicity

Threads
Turbo Diesel or Mobil1 Delvac1 are both great synthetic engine oils... as is Shell Rotella T6... :smile:KennyV

I'm a Mobile fanatic lol. Have used it for many years. Thanks for the tip. I will return the 5w30 and get the 5w40. Actually thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate it man.

:thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good Luck Tony... Hope it is not too late for the change... :smile:KennyV

95simplicity

Threads
Good Luck Tony... Hope it is not too late for the change... :smile:KennyV

Thanks for the GL KennyV but no luck. Was too late for change. Trans doin the same thing. Figured that was the situation but felt it was worth the try.

Have looked for a used tranny at all the local shops. Found one with a broken axle. Guy guarantees good. Says he knows personally that it was good tranny.

Gonna start a new thread on replacing the axle.

Thanks again for all your help. You rock imho. I see you in a lot of threads. Thanks for taking the time to help me and others.

Tony