K46 working or not

Neo7

Threads
Hi All,

I managed to pick up a JD LA120 on the cheap because oil was poring out of the RH Tranny shaft....Turns out the shaft spacer had warn straight through the washer (between the wheel spacer and the case) allowing the wheel spacer push into the shaft seal, ripping it open.
The mower was just about moving when I picked it up and when I drained the oil there was about half a quart of oil still in there.

Anyway before I investigate what's happened inside I wondered if anyone could help me with these questions? ....

• If a K46 transaxle runs low on oil will it damage itself or just stop running?
  • Is there anything that I should closely inspect in there when I open up the case?
  • I have a T40J TRANSMISSION (exactly like a K46)..... But what's the "W/FILTER IDS"?
  • Is the seal something special that only TT can supply?...Below is a picture of the LH seal that's still Ok.
  • Also, does anyone know what the adjuster and locking nut (in the picture below) does?

Many thanks for your help
Neo7

K46Label.jpg

20121118_090723.jpg

20121118_090916.jpg

Jhon

Threads
I have a la120 and that does not have a K46 Hydro, its a 40J.

Neo7

Threads
I have a la120 and that does not have a K46 Hydro, its a 40J.
Yes TT tell me that that's just a JD specified K46

All the best.
Neo

Jhon

Threads
Yes TT tell me that that's just a JD specified K46

All the best.
Neo

Now that I have reread your original post, I see where you have pointed that out already. Good luck with the tans. Just for my own curiosity, how many hours on the tractor?

Neo7

Threads
The whole mower has done 830 hours but I'm told that the Tranny was rebuilt only last year and I can see the excess gasket seal around the edge of the cover which kinda supports that claim.

When I drained the oil it wasn't that dirty and the magnet only had a small amount of metal filings on it. So I'm going to fit a new shaft seal and fill it up with oil again to see what happens...wish me luck :laughing:

All the best.
Neo7