Just bought a Honda HRR2163TDA!

LawnBoy97

Threads
Hi, I just bought my first Honda mower, an HRR2163TDA! It looks pretty good, but unfortunately, the transmission is shot, or so I'm told. Is there anything that can be out of place that would possibly cause the problem? Either way, it starts on the first pull and looks to be in good condition. I haven't checked to see how the oil looks, or the air filter, or the spark plug, so all that is goin on the list. Anything else I should look for? Thanks

Attachments

• Honda mower.jpg
    Honda mower.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 42

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
There could be something as simple as a belt not on a pulley or a cable not put into place. :thumbsup:

But I do remember that I where wanting to put the motor on a older mower do u plan to do that still???? :rolleyes:

Threads
Hi, I just bought my first Honda mower, an HRR2163TDA! It looks pretty good, but unfortunately, the transmission is shot, or so I'm told. Is there anything that can be out of place that would possibly cause the problem? Either way, it starts on the first pull and looks to be in good condition. I haven't checked to see how the oil looks, or the air filter, or the spark plug, so all that is goin on the list. Anything else I should look for? Thanks

Nice! :thumbsup:

TDA.jpg

LawnBoy97

Threads
There could be something as simple as a belt not on a pulley or a cable not put into place. :thumbsup:

But I do remember that I where wanting to put the motor on a older mower do u plan to do that still???? :rolleyes:

Well, that idea was to try and find a solution for my smelly exhaust issue. I think this mower solves it though, so even though I would like to swap out some of the engines on my Snappers, it is being put on hold for awhile. I did notice that the drive cable seemed loose, and after some gentle tugging, it just popped out. I'm gonna try and take a look at it a bit later, but we are under an excessive heat warning hear in southwestern ohio, so I'll see when I want to get out there.

Threads
I'm gonna try and take a look at it a bit later, but we are under an excessive heat warning hear in southwestern ohio, so I'll see when I want to get out there.

Yeah so are we. :confused3: Heat index 106+ degrees this afternoon. It's been in the upper 90's all week!

LawnBoy97

Threads
Yeah so are we. :confused3: Heat index 106+ degrees this afternoon. It's been in the upper 90's all week!

Yeah, it's not that bad in the shade, but once you're in the sun it's crazy. Luckily I don't have anymore jobs until Monday:cool:!

So I got outside to take a look at the Honda, and it seems like the guy pretty much just unhooked everything from the transmission. There is no belt, and I can't seem to find where the loose cable goes. I went ahead and held the clutch bar, and then tried to spin the pulley on the transmission. It would lock up one way, and then I couldn't really tell what it was doing when turned the other way. It seemed almost tight or something, so I don't know. It seems like a good push-mower, though, so unless it would be an easy fix for the transmission, I guess I'll just be using it as a push.

Threads
Yeah, it's not that bad in the shade, but once you're in the sun it's crazy. Luckily I don't have anymore jobs until Monday:cool:!

I still have 7 to mow until Monday. :confused2:

If you want me to take any pictures of my TDA without taking anything apart (just things you can see from the outside), I'll do it to help you fix yours.

LawnBoy97

Threads
I still have 7 to mow until Monday. :confused2:

If you want me to take any pictures of my TDA without taking anything apart (just things you can see from the outside), I'll do it to help you fix yours.

Oooooohhhh, bummer. I was sweating just trying to start the Honda. Which leads me to my second problem. It was running, but seems to be hunting, just barely, and making very faint popping noises. THEN IT CUT OUT:mad::thumbdown::confused2::ashamed::eek::frown:! So, maybe it's time for a carb cleanin'!?!?! Would you recommend buying a rebuild kit and cleaning it, or just replacing the carb entirely?

UPDATE!: I just had the fuel shot off, flipped it back and started right up. Either way, I would like to clean or replace the carb, and since I need to buy a new mulch plug (the current one doesn't fit right) a $15 carb doesn't seem too bad. But what's your opinion? Also, it seems to be slightly high on oil, and although it still looks pretty clean, I think I'll still replace it. Have you used any oil other than Honda oil? Thanks.

Maybe if you can take some pictures, that would be good. But you know, just a couple, and only if you have time. Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Threads
Oooooohhhh, bummer. I was sweating just trying to start the Honda. Which leads me to my second problem. It was running, but seems to be hunting, just barely, and making very faint popping noises. THEN IT CUT OUT:mad::thumbdown::confused2::ashamed::eek::frown:! So, maybe it's time for a carb cleanin'!?!?! Would you recommend buying a rebuild kit and cleaning it, or just replacing the carb entirely?

UPDATE!: I just had the fuel shot off, flipped it back and started right up. Either way, I would like to clean or replace the carb, and since I need to buy a new mulch plug (the current one doesn't fit right) a $15 carb doesn't seem too bad. But what's your opinion? Also, it seems to be slightly high on oil, and although it still looks pretty clean, I think I'll still replace it. Have you used any oil other than Honda oil? Thanks.

Maybe if you can take some pictures, that would be good. But you know, just a couple, and only if you have time. Thanks a lot

I'm not that good at repair, so I don't know if it would be better to just clean or replace the carb. I have used the OEM Honda oil, but also Kawasaki oil in my newer Honda. I will take some pictures tomorrow....is there anything specific you need to see; like the controls area to see how things are attached, or something else?

DSCN8678.jpg

LawnBoy97

Threads
I'm not that good at repair, so I don't know if it would be better to just clean or replace the carb. I have used the OEM Honda oil, but also Kawasaki oil in my newer Honda. I will take some pictures tomorrow....is there anything specific you need to see; like the controls area to see how things are attached, or something else?

View attachment 15871

Thanks a lot for offering, but after taking a look, and removing a rear wheel, it looks like someone went all out to make it a push mower. No gears, or anything. I couldn't locate where the loose cable went, by sight, or by feeling around, so I think I'll go ahead and keep it as a push, but again, thanks for offering to help.

I realized that I am gonna need to get a new mulch plug, so I think that I may as well just buy the new carb, that way I can get more parts for the same shipping and what not.

Thanks for all of the help thus far, and I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date!