John Deere Z930 Oil Issues

Deerehunter22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Needing some information. In 2020 I bought a brand new JD 930M zero turn. After 22 hours I did the first oil change and the oil came out looking like first pic.
Mowed the rest of year and changed oil a few weeks ago before start of this mowing season (75 hours) and it looked off again, see second pic.
The dealer is telling me they don’t think anything is wrong that might just have some moisture or gas in it but to keep going with it. I’m not convinced, they keep suggesting that they can’t find anything wrong and that it’s ok to mow with but I’m nervous about losing my warranty period “hoping” it’s nothing. Don’t want to start seeing real problems in 4-5 years and then the warranty is out.

the first oil change was suspected of just being because of the break in oil change but have any of you seen this before?A6F806B7-40A0-4DA8-A7F6-CC9386095C75.jpg3AA5B9B2-4234-4048-89CA-0D98EE444705.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes the first pic looks like water contamination. Good thing you changed the oil as damage would have been done later. I cant tell much about the second pic other than no water contamination. There is always a little contamination as an engine wears. Anything serious oil related would have already shown up between the two oil changes.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just changed the oil in a Kawasaki on an Exmark that looked just about like the first picture. Engine according to the hour meter is 139.6. Appears to be a 2017 model.

Zeroprogress

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 21 Z930r that I bought in January. I started mowing with it 3 weeks ago. I changed the oil for the first time at 6 hours and it looks almost exactly like your pictures - a brown soup. I guess it’s ‘break in oil’. I replaced it with Mobil1 10W-30 EP and it looks clean on the dipstick after mowing once more so I am not too concerned at this stage. But I will keep monitoring.

FYI while not related to the oil color I have noticed a smallish oil leak just under the oil drain plug. I’ll start a new post about that because I can’t figure it out.