john deere z425 stops moving are it warms up it has 5820 hours

Tallstepper

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / john deere z425 stops moving are it warms up it has 5820 hours
the book says hydraulic sysems does not need service so i've never changed it i tried putting it up on jacks and checking for air nothing works please help

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First going to need the serial of the mower. Early models hydro pump and wheel motors and later models used hydrostatic transaxles.

Tallstepper

Forum Newbie
Threads
MOZ425JO47182 Last time i ran it i got ten min great moving before i had to shut it down it came to a crawl couldnt have went over an ant hill. Let it cool then put it up

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Next question is .
Has it been getting progressively worse or is this a sudden catastrophic failure ?
have a good think before you answer that one.
Hydros die slowly over time because they wear out.
OTOH things like pulley splines strip suddenly as do shafts .
Running fine when cold then slowly dieing as it heats up, reeks of worn out

Tallstepper

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you for the answer it started progressively worse then really started showing itself. Any ideas of what i might need to fix that you may think may be what could be bad or as you say worn out?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay you have a dual 10cc hydro pump and two wheel motors. Your particular serial range uses JO Plus 50 15W-40, 20W-50 1.7 qts with filter change per cheat sheet here. Later model Z425 that have hydrostatic transaxles used a lot more oil, around 2 gallons and two filters if both transaxle are done.

Can be a drive belt slipping caused either a worn belt or a sticking idler arm. If the idler arm is binding it can act as if the belt is slipping even with a new belt installed. Also check the depth the v belt is riding in the v-pulleys as if it is bottoming out it can cause the belt to slip. This would be the first items to check before hydraulic oil and filter change. If none of this resolves the problem then look at either rebuilding the pump or replacing it. With nearly 6000 hrs it can be any of these items.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That sounds more & more like a pump failure .
Some times an oil change will breathe a little more life into the pump.
Double check that the input shaft is turning and the belt or pulley is not slipping.
No idea what the expected service life on one of these is but 5800 hours is a long time .
The pump will not be a cheap repair bud divided by the hours it has run it looks quite reasonable.

Tallstepper

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you for the answer i had an idea you would say the pump i guess i need to brace for a high repair bill