John Deere d105 won’t keep turning during start

Clarion

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere d105 won’t keep turning during start
I’m at my wit’s end here. I have replaced the battery, starter, starter solenoid, spark plugs, fuel filter, and oil & filter. After all this, the same problem persists. When I turn the key to start it, it will click / starter engages, then maybe turns the flywheel one or two times and then the flywheel just creeps along and turns maybe another one time before the connections start overheating and start melting some of the rubber conduit along the electrical lines.

Here’s a link to a video of what’s going on.

Please, someone help!

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Classic ACR failure due to either valves way out adjustment or the ACR on the Briggs camshaft broken. If you keep trying you will burn up a starter and the starter solenoid if not more parts.

Clarion

Forum Newbie
Threads
What is an ACR? and is this something that would require extensive engine work? I’m handy but have never worked on small engines before.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
ACR = Automatic Compression Release

First you need the adjust the valves and while adjusting turn the engine through a couple revs you should notice the lower rocker (intake valve) open slightly as approach TDC compression stroke and reclose (bump as it is called). If not present after the vavles are adjusted then it a tear down of the engine to remove the broken parts and install a new camshaft along with a possible governor/oil slinger. Of course you replace the crankcase gasket and the PTO side oil seal while you are at it.

Clarion

Forum Newbie
Threads
ACR = Automatic Compression Release

First you need the adjust the valves and while adjusting turn the engine through a couple revs you should notice the lower rocker (intake valve) open slightly as approach TDC compression stroke and reclose (bump as it is called). If not present after the vavles are adjusted then it a tear down of the engine to remove the broken parts and install a new camshaft along with a possible governor/oil slinger. Of course you replace the crankcase gasket and the PTO side oil seal while you are at it.
Ah, like what’s going on in this video?

I’ll try adjusting the valves first. Wouldn’t be up to the task of camshaft replacement. Thank you so much for your help in identifying the issue!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Once you adjust the valves and it is the compression release you can turn the engine in counter rotation until you come to compression. Then Try starting it. Don't just bump it hold the key to make sure it will turn over now. This way you are turning the engine one revaluation with no compression and it will probably turn through the compression stroke and start the engine. If it does not then you may have a cam lobe that has slipped on the shaft. When this happen the engine will probably kick badly.

banker1

Forum Newbie
Threads
i need to know were i can get info on my e100 john deer valve adjustments thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you'll need the model type and code numbers of the engine,. they are stamped into the valve cover on the front of the engine... can't miss it

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Single cylinder Briggs if the model # starts with 31 or lower the clearance is .003 to .005 on the intake and .005 to .007 on the exhaust if it starts with 33 clearance is .003 to .005 on the intake and .003 to .005 on the exhaust.