John Deere 400

jrsnofive

Threads
I have an old JD 400 with 60" deck, I had a fuel line leak and just pushed it aside, now I would like to get it running. (it's been sitting for a year) Took seat and tank off, repaired fuel line, put it all back together. I have new fuel in tank and fuel at the carb. but the Kohler K532QS wouldn't start. Found a carburetor online (the ROP Shop) and installed it. It fires then dies. I have fuel, pulled the plugs and I have spark at both plugs. So, one plug is wet and black and one is not. I have checked the adjustment on main and idle jets, then set them per the JD400 service manual. Still fires the first time then dies. If I keep trying it might fire again then stops. Where do I start? I was told this motor is a repower, so how do I know if the tag on the side panel is correct? Any help with this machine would be greatly appreciated. Oh, air filter was not installed when I tried to start. I did have foam filter media covering the opening on the 90* intake. hey thanks again, I have no idea how many hours on this motor. Just retired, don't golf, garden is over, except my sprouts. I own to many old machines.

jrsnofive

Threads
So, I went through the trouble shooting and have spark at both plugs. I have fuel in fuel filter, and it appears carb adjustment was wrong, too much fuel. Got it fired up and this thing's a monster. thanks again for the help, and the manual. I still need to work out some issues now with mower deck. Really too much tractor for my yard. My other machine is an old Dixie with I think the same motor. Love it, Thanks again, jrsnofive. too many old machines too cheap to buy new and from what I read here they just don't make them like they used too.

jrsnofive

Threads
Help, I got that 400 running, but you guessed it the mower deck belt is broken, and you can't read the old no. Where can I buy an aftermarket deck belt? Deck mod. no. H060F, Ser. no. 370699M, the old belt measures 144" stretched out, Looks like an A belt but is that correct? I would think it would be a B belt. How about a parts list.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
John Deer have all their IPL's on line .
You can not print or download the entire document but you can print out ( or print to disk ) a single page .
Once you have the belt number you feed that into the Gates interchange site and that will give you the specifications of the belt .
gates catelogue when the page opens hit the red " vehicle parts Search" button which brings up a pop up search box
Hit the "Interchange" button on the right side they enter the JD part number
When you get a result ( usually a BR belt ) hit the belt number which brings up the specifications .

The Gates site is the only one I trust to be accurate and will not list a L or X or V series belt as the nearest A, B or M which a lot of sites do .

jrsnofive

Threads
So I have an allergy to the internet, nothing ever works for me the first time. I spent a few hours looking last night and nothing. Searched the 400 and keep coming up with the M48444 belt approx. 144 " B belt. I bought an Amazon belt that is suppose to be 144 3/4 ", This belt will not work. Tension pully is tight to drive pulley and belt is will not fit over one pulley. Searched the H060F deck and John Deer site shows no results for searched number. I found an old work order (previous owner) from Reynolds and it shows the M48444

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would go back to the JD site and use the model numbers on the tag to search for the mower
On full size tractors the decks have their own part numbers and diagrams but on Lawn & garden tractors the deck is usually listed with the mower .
Well that part number comes up as a B 145
If the deck has a manual PTO then the belt will be loose but if it has a shaft drive or electric PTO then you will need to stretch the tension arm in order to get the belt over the pulleys .

jrsnofive

Threads
thanks again, went in and found the tractor using John Deere 400 hydrostatic lawn and garden tractor. I didn't use john deere the first time. When I went to the mower it still showed the M48444, So I need to refine my search some more. But all the tractor parts are there. Assume , My tractor Model no. C400H ser 097305M.