John Deere 115 will not start

tjmcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere 115, Briggs engine. A couple days ago while mowing, it started sputtering and blowing black smoke. I parked it and shut it off. Now, it will not crank, just whirrs. Battery is good. Getting charge from solenoid to starter. Checked engine oil, smells like gas. Could this be the reason my engine will not crank? Wanting to try cleaning carb like Briggs recommends but want to know if engine done for before trying something that may be futile. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’ll bet that the float needle has fail and filled the cylinder and crankcase with fuel. Solution, remove and have the carb rebuilt. Remove the spark plug and place a rag over the spark plug opening. Turn the engine over with the starter for about 10 seconds. Will probably see a lot of fuel shooting out. Change the oil. Reassemble everything, I’d probably replace the plug. Test the unit.

tjmcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Thought my mower was toast.Don't have much time everyday to work on it so I will post updates when I can.

tjmcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good news!! Wasn't the solenoid after all. There is a little play in the pto lever and it is not making enough contact with the kill switch. Hold the lever back when youm crank it, works fine.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can take the switch out and screw a small self tapper into the end of the plunger to give it a bit more travel.
Eventually the contact wear / burn away but I do this regularly, particularly to Murrays with clip in switches rather than the bolt on ones.