JD X304 4 wheel steering

nbpt100

Threads
I need to remove the transaxle on a 4 weel steering JD tractor. Is there anything special I need to understand that is not obvious in dropping the transaxle?

I see a large snap ring on the inside of the rear steering knuckle. Do I need to remove them?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This is quite involved and you need a copy of the TM2308 Tech manual for the X304 machine. Especially if you haven't done this before as I haven't seen one these either. The manual will have pictures along with instructions.

But answer your question on the snap ring. No you don't remove it but you whole steering knuckle. Even this get quite involved as the fender pan and fuel tank has to be removed. Basically you will need plenty space as you will be half disassembling the mower.

nbpt100

Threads
This is quite involved and you need a copy of the TM2308 Tech manual for the X304 machine. Especially if you haven't done this before as I haven't seen one these either. The manual will have pictures along with instructions.

But answer your question on the snap ring. No you don't remove it but you whole steering knuckle. Even this get quite involved as the fender pan and fuel tank has to be removed. Basically you will need plenty space as you will be half disassembling the mower.
Thanks for the reference to the tech manual. I was reading on another tractor forum that someone found a short cut that avoided removing the fender etc. They removed the snap ring and was able to slide out the hub. It does not come out easy but he did it by leaving the wheel on and pulling it out. When he got it out he then had to remove one side of the u-joint. Remove the two king pins and it slides off of the output shaft. Then he was able to slide the transmission shaft off of the other side. I don't know how true this is for my X304. I thought it is worth mentioning in case someone here has direct experience and can comment.

The King pins have a Torque of 350 ft-lbs. Incredibly high torque!!! Does anyone know what size socket you need to fit them? the machine is not accecible to me right now and I want to make sure i have the correct impact socket.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My 3/4 " goes up to 400 ft lbs and the 1" goes up to 450 ft lbs
However both of those are well above the tensile strength of a 1/2 grade 9 bolt so I would double check that number
350 in-lbs sounds a bit more likely
Why inch & not foot ?
Because it implies a higher level of accuracy

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From the service manual.
1651626257613.png

nbpt100

Threads
From the service manual.
View attachment 60385
Yes, thanks for saving me the time to post that from the manual. Bert has a point. It may be an error as that seem like a ridiculously high torque. The manual only says remove. It does not say how to.
Anyone know the socket size?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Considering the amount of torque it going to be either a M18 or M20 so the wrench size is most likely either 27mm or 30mm. Note: JD tends to use Metric fasteners. Any well stock shop should these sockets and wrenches. I am still working on my collection as I got to get a 22mm deep well impact socket. I also got to get a 46mm socket.

The amount of torque is really all that bad as I work the transaxles where axle nuts are at 300 ft lbs on tapers. And several ATVs I work on have 300 ft/lb + torques on axles.

nbpt100

Threads
on another post someone said it is 1 1/8".....could it be actually 29mm?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I called the local JD service department this morning and they have no idea what tool is needed either.

Well the only real way to find out is to get access the king pin bolt and use a caliper.

I did find this spec for the bolt.
1651669368991.png
So if it is a 1"- 12 or 14 bolt the head size is most likely 1-1/2".

nbpt100

Threads
I called the local JD service department this morning and they have no idea what tool is needed either.

Well the only real way to find out is to get access the king pin bolt and use a caliper.

I did find this spec for the bolt.
View attachment 60391
So if it is a 1"- 12 or 14 bolt the head size is most likely 1-1/2".
For a 1 inch bolt that is not that high of a torque. It did not seem to be that large as I recall seeing it. I was thinking more in the 16 to 19mm range or about 3/4". I will be at it tomorrow and will confirm its size at that time. It really looks like removig the king pins is required to remove the transaxle from the carrier. I can not find any other confirmed process to do it.