JCPENNEY lawnmower

vito_corleone021

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wondering if anybody would have info and or value of the JCPENNEY model I have. Had a guy respond to me when I was trying to sell it on Craigslist telling me it could be a rare model ...this was his email to me
Good Evening,

I saw your ad and had to respond. You might have a rare mower on your hands....
I'm a older lawn-boy mower enthusiast and I have never seen that deck and engine combination before.The deck, wheels, handle and rear bagger is all lawn-boy. Late 1970's-early 80's Mulch-R-Catch. Lawn-boy and JCPenney did collaborate during this time period. I've seen many Lawn-boy/JCPenney stagger deck 2 cycles. I have never seen the 4-square rear bagger deck with the briggs. I did a quick google search and found a newer model of this mower. I hope this helps and gives you some topics to google. There is a lawn-boy mower forum out there and you might want to consider putting this one of ebay for a larger viewing source. But then again it is a 40 year old stamped steel deck with a briggs classic engine push mower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated ....attached a few pics 338B159B-A966-4D7C-A02E-028F097FBFB5.jpeg9A5AE965-0728-497C-9C1D-4AA202BD90EC.jpeg8494F77C-8969-4B39-877D-C0A255AFA049.jpeg

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The main attraction of the classic Lawn Boy mowers was/is the lightweight mower and the powerful two stroke engine. The staggered wheel vs four square is a debate with no winner. But your mower is, to me, a pretty generic run of the mill mower that has no special value. It is a nice looking mower, looks to be well maintained and has the good bagger setup. I'd ask $100 and be open to offers.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Hmmm. What is the model number of the mower? I've never seen a Briggs engine on an older Lawn-Boy until now. It could be legit, or somebody may have slapped a newer (Classic Briggs) engine on an older deck. The 2 cycle JC Penny mower had it's name on the plastic shroud.

dwross

Threads
A little background. Check the Model/SN plate, you should see Galesburg, IL, my hometown. The Lawn-Boy mowers were manufactured by Gale Products, a division of Outboard Marine Corporation. My neighbor worked in Quality Control at the factory. They had test sites in different areas of the U.S. Once tested, the mowers were returned to the factory for tear down and inspection by quality control. In 1978-79, I purchased one of the tested mowers once reassembled with a new engine. It happened to be a JCPenney version, Model 8310 self-propelled. At the same time I got the service manual used by Lawn-Boy servicing dealers. The opening section detailed the history of powered mowers, particularly the Lawn-Boy. The manual covers service details of every Lawn-Boy up to 1978-79. Shortly after I bought the mower, my neighbor brought me a newly available attachment. It happened to be a rear bag upgrade kit. It is the same as shown on your photos. I have tried, but have never found a part number for the bag or the upgrade kit.

In regard to the Briggs & Stratton, I do not believe that engine was factory installed. My manual does not list any B&S engines, only Lawn-Boy manufactured 2-cycle engines. FYI, I was told by a good source that they were attempting to develop a rotary, Wankel type engine.

I am still using the same mover today. Fifteen years ago I move from Galesburg to the Denver area. I assumed I would need to adjust the carburetor because of the 5,000 foot elevation change. It worked fine without adjustment. I have maintained this mower myself over its 40 plus years. There are many parts no longer available from Toro, current owner of Lawn-Boy. Some of those parts are critical. I am hoping this mower last a few more years.

I hope I have enlightened you about your mower. If you can, I would like to know the model and serial number of your mower.

dwross

Threads
I will correct myself about the above post. In the late 80's after OMC lost or sold off Lawn-Boy changes were made. B&S engines were used, I assume the government probably forbid 2-cycle engines by that time. Around that same time or later, Toro dropped the staggered wheel design.

Pardon my misinformation,

D

upupandaway

Threads
I've never seen a Briggs engine on an older Lawn-Boy until now.

Yeah, someone in my area put a honda motor on a old(er) school LB deck. It is listed in CL for sale. I thought the LB motor had different mount holes but i guess the person could have just drilled new holes if so.

dwross

Threads
I have discovered since the above correction that Lawn-Boy made a few models in the early 80's while they were still manufactured in Galesburg, IL by Gale Products, a Division of OM

Except for Vito's photos, I have never seen B&S engine on a Lawn-Boy.

D Ross

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder how the mower model and SN numbers would relate to the Briggs model, type, and code numbers? Might help determine if that engine actually came on the mower.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FYI. Lawn Boy was using B&S engines during these years. 1961, 1967-76, 1991-92. If the OP would provide us with the model and serial numbers for the mower and model, type and code numbers for the engine, I would be able to see if they match.