Is this normal when using Roto stop?

Sylvian

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I press and hold the Roto stop button on my Honda lawn mower while engaging the bar to start the rotation of the blades, if I pull the bar up too fast the engine stalls. However if I slowly pull the bar up everything is fine. Is this normal?

Reactions: de3

de3

Threads
Normal.....

HarmonySeeker

Threads
My Harmony 216 wants to stall if I don't let it run a bit before engaging the blade clutch.
I have read elsewhere here that there is a carburetor adjustment (engine is running too lean) which can alleviate the issue, but have no first-hand experience with it.
Honda clearly states to engage the blade clutch firmly and without delay to minimize wear on the blade clutch.
If you have to slowly let the clutch out to accommodate the motor, you are wearing the clutch.
Just having repaired a blade clutch for over $80 in parts alone, I am going to investigate this carburetion issue more thoroughly.
BTW, does your motor surge/hunt at times? I have read elsewhere here that is also a symptom of a carb running lean.

tadawson

Threads
I have always had to engage mine a bit slowly since new. The mower is now close to 30 years old, and I did engine work last year, and had the clutch apart, and it is still well within servicable limits. If that's excess wear from engagjng it in other than a 'slam', I can live with it!

cruzenmike

Threads
Not sure of which model you are using, but the manual for the HRX217HYA states "Operate the blade control lever with a quick and complete motion, so the blade control is always either fully engaged or released. This will help to prevent stalling the engine, and will also extend the service life of the blade control mechanism."

If this is a new problem with your mower then something has obviously changed in the operation of the machine. There are a handful of issues that could be occurring such as a roto-stop adjustment issue or failure, or the engine speed is not what it should be. As for the roto-stop, I have never had one apart or repaired one, but it sounds as if from the other posts that there are adjustments that can be made. As for the engine speed, many of these mowers were manufactured and shipped with the engine speed down 2-500 RPMs from what the manual states it should be. Or, over time, the governor spring gets weak allowing the no-load speed to fall. If you do not have a minitach, I would suggest getting one ($10 on amazon maybe) and checking the no-load engine RPM and adjust accordingly to match the recommendation per your manual. If you get all of this sorted out and it does not resolve your issue, then you should either take to a repair shop to have the roto-stop checked.

If in the end you do not mind engaging slowly, then continue on as you are.

Hopefully this helps.

tadawson

Threads
Note that "quick"and "slam" are not the same thing. My engagement is 1 to 1-1/2 seconds, and I consider that quick, and have a 30 year old clutch that measures close to new. If I just slam it, it has always stalled sometimes . . . YMMV . . .

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Not sure of which model you are using, but the manual for the HRX217HYA states "Operate the blade control lever with a quick and complete motion, so the blade control is always either fully engaged or released. This will help to prevent stalling the engine, and will also extend the service life of the blade control mechanism."

If this is a new problem with your mower then something has obviously changed in the operation of the machine. There are a handful of issues that could be occurring such as a roto-stop adjustment issue or failure, or the engine speed is not what it should be. As for the roto-stop, I have never had one apart or repaired one, but it sounds as if from the other posts that there are adjustments that can be made. As for the engine speed, many of these mowers were manufactured and shipped with the engine speed down 2-500 RPMs from what the manual states it should be. Or, over time, the governor spring gets weak allowing the no-load speed to fall. If you do not have a minitach, I would suggest getting one ($10 on amazon maybe) and checking the no-load engine RPM and adjust accordingly to match the recommendation per your manual. If you get all of this sorted out and it does not resolve your issue, then you should either take to a repair shop to have the roto-stop checked.

If in the end you do not mind engaging slowly, then continue on as you are.

Hopefully this helps.
Who mentioned slam in the first place, I humbly ask?
We are merely quoting Honda manuals.
Now we are counting in seconds......I'm done with this thread.

tadawson

Threads
Who mentioned slam in the first place, I humbly ask?
We are merely quoting Honda manuals.
Now we are counting in seconds......I'm done with this thread.

Those who are taking exception to sucessful reports, such as yourself . . . "quick" is not a specific definition of time, so I was attempting to share with others how I have gotten a blade clutch to go 30+ years with minimal wear, and I'm sorry if useful information such as that offends you. The manual does not define "quickly" . . .