Is the X350 the right mower for me

PAMedic

Threads
The X350 is at the upper range of what I can afford but I a concerned about the stories concerning the transmission. How do you know if your property is too hilly for the K46? I hadn't anticipated buying a new mower at all but my old one quit so rather than fix a 20 year old mower made by a company that's out of business I am getting a new one. Is the K46 really that bad that I should be spending another $600 or so for the 370? Thanks in advance.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't think the X370 is that much of an upgrade to the 350. Same basic transmission design with a few upgrade components. For an average yard with no extra utility use either mower would do the job for years. The Kanzaki Tuff Torq K46 is just a flawed design with the hydraulic pump and motor running in the same oil as the powdered metal differential gears. Completely different fluid requirements. But just not much else to choose from these days, Price vs Quallity, and price has won out.

PAMedic

Threads
Thanks

Don't think the X370 is that much of an upgrade to the 350. Same basic transmission design with a few upgrade components. For an average yard with no extra utility use either mower would do the job for years. The Kanzaki Tuff Torq K46 is just a flawed design with the hydraulic pump and motor running in the same oil as the powdered metal differential gears. Completely different fluid requirements. But just not much else to choose from these days, Price vs Quallity, and price has won out.

cruzenmike

Threads
While the X350 is an excellent mower, there are certainly more "capable" machines in your price range. You can have both a Husqvarna or Cub Cadet with a K58 transmission for $3000-3300. While you are stuck with the K46 in the Deere, you do get a longer warranty, a more premium engine, a more robust frame and just an all around better machine. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, but considering that you are willing to stretch your dollar as far as it can go, you should get the Deere and be sure to use it as it was intended. If you are still not at ease about the transmission, look at other makes or try to finance a more capable machine.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The steering will wear out first because none have a method of lubricating the pinion gear bearing nor the pinion / sector gear teeth.

PAMedic

Threads
While the X350 is an excellent mower, there are certainly more "capable" machines in your price range. You can have both a Husqvarna or Cub Cadet with a K58 transmission for $3000-3300. While you are stuck with the K46 in the Deere, you do get a longer warranty, a more premium engine, a more robust frame and just an all around better machine. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the Husqvarna or Cub Cadet, but considering that you are willing to stretch your dollar as far as it can go, you should get the Deere and be sure to use it as it was intended. If you are still not at ease about the transmission, look at other makes or try to finance a more capable machine.
Thanks. I am taking your advice and looking at other brands although those two are not on my short-list. Lawn care is not a hobby of mine. I want to get the job done as quickly and painlessly as I can without having to baby the mower for fear of overworking the trans. My current hydro is still going strong after 20 years of not babying it. If it wasn't for the Briggs engine I would be using it today.

gotomow

Threads
IMHO if you get a Husqvarna or Cub you will have to baby the entire mower. They don't cut, bag, mulch, as well as the Deere. Get ready for belt slap, spindle replacement and warped decks. Not even close.

bkeller500

Threads
Maybe it would help for you to give additional information on your property. How big? More info on the hills? Do you need differential lock? Is traction the issue? Possibly a lightly used X500 series could be a answer.

PAMedic

Threads
Maybe it would help for you to give additional information on your property. How big? More info on the hills? Do you need differential lock? Is traction the issue? Possibly a lightly used X500 series could be a answer.
3 Acre property but less than 1/3 of that is lawn. Not completely level but gentle slope. Two very small steep slopes about 500 sq. ft. Takes about an hour to cut with a 12hp 36" deck tractor. Diff. lock never needed. If a wheel spun I just leaned into that side. Never had a problem with my Eaton transaxle in 18 years. Can't go larger than 42" deck.
ThanksHill1.jpgHill2.JPG

Last edited:

gotomow

Threads
I'm on approx. 7/8 acre. Front is flat back yard is gently sloped probably 8-10 degrees of slope which I mow side to side although around a ground cover treed area I do go up a sloped area 10-12 degrees but it's very minor. If you are concerned about your lot and the hills do yourself a favor and take some pics over to your JD dealer and share your concerns.
I probably would have looked into a used 500 series but I have a lot of trees and didn't want to mess with a power bagger so I stuck with a 42" deck which bags everything to perfection.
My sister and brother in law mow 2.5 acres and have used a JD 540 and JD 135. Recently they had the 135 in for service and noticed a gently used x540 had been taken in for trade. At just 350 hours and $2700 they jumped at it and now have his and hers 540's. The 135 just need something minor so they still have that also.