Is my deck fixable/worth it.

Threads

Another day another problem ladies and gents.

Deck has crack and I'm not sure if it's fixable or even worth it due to the location.

Craftsman 917.256611

Finding a deck like this.....where?

If fixable I figure either fork out the dough for a decent deck or buy a welder and learn to do it myself.

With the crack being there is it fixable?

Ken Kegris

Threads
As of right now it easily fixable keep using it and it will be harder to fix, I would suggest you weld it on both sides of the deck side meaning inside and outside.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is it fixable. Yes/Maybe Depending on how big a hole the wire wheel on the angle grinder makes, and how much fabri-cobbling you are willing to do.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes easily repairable if you have the skills. If you have limited welding experience I would taking it someone that had this kind of repairs. To me this is a minor repair when the one I recently that look like an old style pull tab. It is just not everybody can weld sheet metal and have looking like new.

Threads
Thanks y'all I'll look around Craigslist and Fb to see how much someone would charge to do it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a rip out like that I put a patch inside the deck for support
then weld the mount back on.
I gas weld so never have any problems with these repairs,
Mig welds tend to tear out unless the welder is good
Tig does a better job than Mig.

Same with those holes.
Using gas it is easy to fill them up,

keakar

Threads

Another day another problem ladies and gents.

Deck has crack and I'm not sure if it's fixable or even worth it due to the location.

Craftsman 917.256611

Finding a deck like this.....where?

If fixable I figure either fork out the dough for a decent deck or buy a welder and learn to do it myself.

With the crack being there is it fixable?
nope, its not even worth trying, you can clearly see rust bubbling up in a few spots and those dont often rust so im sure the spindle areas are completely ready to fall apart if you tap on any of that rust.

good thing is, you have lots of donor mowers out there to pick from since the decks are mostly all the same for ariens / poulan / craftsman / husqvarna brand mowers. any of those brands share the same decks but there are like 3 version of decks used by all of them so pay close attention to the brackets. some rear brackets are welded on top of the deck and some are welded to the back of the deck, some decks have 2 brackets on the front to hang it and some just have 1 hanger bracket in the center.

so get you a parts mower with a good deck like yours or just take your engine off and buy a cheap mower with a bad engine and put your engine on it as long as hp matches

Threads
nope, its not even worth trying, you can clearly see rust bubbling up in a few spots and those dont often rust so im sure the spindle areas are completely ready to fall apart if you tap on any of that rust.

good thing is, you have lots of donor mowers out there to pick from since the decks are mostly all the same for ariens / poulan / craftsman / husqvarna brand mowers. any of those brands share the same decks but there are like 3 version of decks used by all of them so pay close attention to the brackets. some rear brackets are welded on top of the deck and some are welded to the back of the deck, some decks have 2 brackets on the front to hang it and some just have 1 hanger bracket in the center.

so get you a parts mower with a good deck like yours or just take your engine off and buy a cheap mower with a bad engine and put your engine on it as long as hp matches
Having trouble finding someone.

Ill look on FB to see what mowers are up for grabs.

Threads
With a rip out like that I put a patch inside the deck for support
then weld the mount back on.
I gas weld so never have any problems with these repairs,
Mig welds tend to tear out unless the welder is good
Tig does a better job than Mig.

Same with those holes.
Using gas it is easy to fill them up,
So youre saying....i should try it and buy a welder and not care what the Mrs says about the purchase?>>>??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So youre saying....i should try it and buy a welder and not care what the Mrs says about the purchase?>>>??
I am not going to buy into that one.
However I san see it costing you several new dresses and a couple of trips to that nice new resturant she wanted to visit.

I bought a Dillon ( now DHC 2000 ) gas welded 40 years ago and probably used it 5 times a year for the first 20 years so the bottle rent alone meant it would have been cheaper to hire one as needed
Then I started to use it a bot more regularly and actually became reasonably proficient .
Now I grab the gun at least twice a week
OTOH I have a stick welded that has been used twice in 30 years & I am pathetic with a stick.

Electric welding a rusted deck is very hard to do
Gas welding is a lot easier as I can weld through rust.
However it takes a long time.