Ironton Gen. DF400H-3410

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Has a Chonda engine on it.
Was getting about 183V out of the 120v plug. So I removed the adjustment screw completely, and am still getting 130V at about 1650RPM's. I've seen bad AVR's that won't produce any volts. Or IIRC, not enough. But never seen one put out too much.

Is this even possible?

P.S. The governor arm and throttle plate move freely. I don't see a lot of corrosion or debris (like dirt dobbers) in the back of the generator.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, bad AVR can be high volts. You need to check the frequency. I am going to assume it should run at 3600 RPM unless it is an inverter generator.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here’s the owners manual with a customer support number and parts breakdown. These are what I call throw away units because of their cheap price. They are sold through NorthernTool for less than $400. Most times repairs exceed 50% of new unit. Only have a 90 day warranty, which should tell you the type of quality you are dealing with. https://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/504000.pdf

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here’s the owners manual with a customer support number and parts breakdown. These are what I call throw away units because of their cheap price. They are sold through NorthernTool for less than $400. Most times repairs exceed 50% of new unit. Only have a 90 day warranty, which should tell you the type of quality you are dealing with. https://www.northerntool.com/images/downloads/manuals/504000.pdf

Yes, I've looked through that "parts list and diagram." It's about as worthless as the generator, I'm thinking. Was looking up the breather vent that mounts into the top of the gas tank. It's labeled something like #32. Scroll to 32 on the parts list, and it's listed as a manual choke. LMAO.
The AVR is pretty cheap ($27) through the Generator Guru. Not so cheap on the breather vent. It's about $30. Just for a darn plastic vent. SMH.
But it's for the guy who owns the property my shop is in. So it all comes off the rent. Including labor.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, bad AVR can be high volts. You need to check the frequency. I am going to assume it should run at 3600 RPM unless it is an inverter generator.

Yes, 3600 is about what I found too. Thanks for the reply.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you work on generators it helps to have a meter that measures Hz. You will probably want to set the no load speed at 3700 to 3750 and then apply a heavy load and see if the revs don't drop below something like 3575. The AVR will regulate the voltage but frequency is still RPM dependent. You want it running 3600 at near full load. And remember the advertising watts listed on the side is surge watts not running watts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I set my generators a little different than Hammer. As stated you will need a hertz meter, so if you don’t have one, you should get one somehow before starting. Plus an assistant would be a great extra set of eyes. This would be the procedure I would be following if that unit came to me.
1. I plug a Hertz meter into one outlet. Plug a volt meter into another outlet. Have my tach ready.
2. I am looking for 3600 RPMs, 60 hertz and 120 VDC. This is in a no load condition. This is my starting point.
3. Start unit and observe RPMs, hertz and voltage.
4. Observe all three meters and set governed top speed at 3600 RPMs.
5. Hopefully your hertz on that unit is in between 56.5-63.3, which is the specs for that unit and you have between 118-122 VDC.
6. If not you start adjusting you governed top speed until you get the voltage and hertz within the range posted.
Being a little on the high side is better than low side. I don’t like to ever go over 3700 RPMs to get it into range.
7. Once you are within range, you plug in an electrical device and run it at full speed. I like using an electric drill.
Watch your voltage and hertz to see if they stay in range. If not increase RPMs slightly and test again.
Remember, you are trying to get it within range under load.
8. If I can’t get it adjusted to my liking, I’m more interested in getting the hertz as close to 60 than voltage at 120.
Have a voltage reading out of range won’t ruin a piece of equipment as fast as the wrong hertz.

Others may have a different procedure, this is just the one I used when teaching. One thing is that being a cheap unit with an “Automatic Voltage Regulator” you cannot adjust anything besides your speed, so don’t be surprised if you need the patience of
a saint. Make sure the engine is running as smooth as a top before starting the procedure. Good Luck, you’ll need it if you’ve never done one before.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I like to use a hot air gun.
Very heavy load applied almost instantly,
And if the Hz drop to low it wont worry a resistace device

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a hertz meter, but didn't plug it in to this gen yet. With the voltage at 180v ac, what's the point? At least not until I have the AVR replaced.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you work on generators it helps to have a meter that measures Hz. You will probably want to set the no load speed at 3700 to 3750 and then apply a heavy load and see if the revs don't drop below something like 3575. The AVR will regulate the voltage but frequency is still RPM dependent. You want it running 3600 at near full load. And remember the advertising watts listed on the side is surge watts not running watts.

I see what you mean. It's a 4000w generator. that only means it'll surge at 4000. Not actually run 4000w constantly.