Idle issue V2 Intek

Ben2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just restarted my engine after a camshaft and push rods replacement and it works fine. The problem I have is it won't idle, just run full speed but if I engage the blade (it's a Troy Bilt 18hp riding mower), it will let me control the engine speed and would probably attempt letting me set it to idle.
Not sure what I have done wrong. I set the governor all the way to the right (clockwise) when the engine was upside down after I reinstalled the oil pan.
Thanks for your help if you have any advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the governor arm when you split the engine?
If so redo the governor setting
If not then the governor has fallen out when you put the sump back on.
BE very careful
a lot of these engine will let go if run for a very short time without a functioning governor

Ben2021

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did not remove the governor arm from the lower pan. Do you mean it let go and I need a new one? If yes, do I need a new oil seal since I just replaced it? Looking at a video, I did not rotate the arm counter clockwise when I let the pan slide down in place. Guessing that could be the source of the problem. Thanks.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the first person on the planet to make that mistake.
If you polished the crankshaft when you had it off before then the seal should be fine if you lube the shaft before you pull the sump off and be caregull to avoid the seal lip running against the sharp edges of the key way
I like to run a Dremel disc over the edges of the key ways when I have a sump cover off just to take the really sharp edge off.
Cut my fingers way too many times