Hustler Super Z 2008 Pump problem maybe.

Grizzly25

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Super Z that I just got and is my first zero turn mower. I was mowing and the right shift lever start going forward real easy and the mower acted like it wasn't going. It does it and then it seems like it goes ok for a little bit then does it again. I checked the belt and it looks ok. The lever moving real easy is what has me concerned that the pump may be bad. Can you rebuild the pump? Thanks for any help.

Richie F

Threads
Don't know what number pump you have but a quick search does show pump rebuild kits for Hustler.
Seals and gaskets no hard parts.

Grizzly25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does this sound like the pump is bad? How do I find the type of pump I have?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It should have a BDP-21L-408 (PW-1LQC-EY1X-XXXX). But to be sure either look-up the IPL for you mower using the model number on the serial number tag or look on the pump for its model number.

If it is the BPD-21L-408 all parts are available from Hydro Gear.

Grizzly25

Forum Newbie
Threads
It should have a BDP-21L-408 (PW-1LQC-EY1X-XXXX). But to be sure either look-up the IPL for you mower using the model number on the serial number tag or look on the pump for its model number.

If it is the BPD-21L-408 all parts are available from Hydro Gear.
Thanks. Where would the model number be at? Can I see it without removing the pump? Does it sound like the pump is bad from what it is doing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
To me it sounds more like something came loose in the linkages but I am not there to look at it. Your lap bar should still have the same resistance.

You should be able to see the number tag without removing anything but may need a mirror depending the location of the tag.

Grizzly25

Forum Newbie
Threads
To me it sounds more like something came loose in the linkages but I am not there to look at it. Your lap bar should still have the same resistance.

You should be able to see the number tag without removing anything but may need a mirror depending the location of the tag.
I checked all the linkages and don't see anything loose. It's not like it is completely loose. It catchs and then it just turns loose. Its like the pump isn't doing anything when it does it. It still goes but like skipping or something. It feels like a loose linkage though. Are the pumps very hard to rebuild? Thanks for the help. I wanted to add that what I am describing is with the engine running. With the engine off its like there is no resistance to the lever and the other side does have resistance.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It not for someone with experience but for a novice it can be a challenge. One of the main thing is a super clean area to work in.

I actually havent done one these pumps yet but do have on the schedule for after mowing season as it has seals leaking. This will give me time to be slow at disassembly and re-assembly; It always takes me longer on anything new I dig into.

Richie F

Threads
Could the pump have lost oil and its low now ?
And I agree with Star Tech.
The area must be clean when working on a hydraulic pump.
Dirt and hydraulics don't mix.
Have rebuilt parts on Cat machines and know that.

Grizzly25

Forum Newbie
Threads
It not for someone with experience but for a novice it can be a challenge. One of the main thing is a super clean area to work in.

I actually havent done one these pumps yet but do have on the schedule for after mowing season as it has seals leaking. This will give me time to be slow at disassembly and re-assembly; It always takes me longer on anything new I dig into.
I used to rebuild automatic transmissions in cars so I know about keeping it clean. I might take it off and try rebuilding it myself.