Husqvarna Z242F - Kawasaki engine, what size?

MaineMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just ordered this Z242F online. It says in description it has the 21.5 HP Kawasaki engine FR651V. However, I've also seen the same mower (Z242F) listed with the Kawasaki FR600V 18 HP engine. Odd thing is, iHusqvarna has two (2) models listed. One for Lowes and an another model for dealers. Keep in mind I'm only talking about the Z242F mower. Being in the parts buying business I can't wrap my head around only 2 models listed for the Z242F but many different engines show up. How does this happen?

Thanks - sometimes I get twisted over the simplest anomalies.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually the bigger engine is considered an "upgrade" for the next season or the smaller engine is a "downgrade " to make the mower cheap enough for Lowes to sell it to you and make a 200% mark up .

Could also be a supply problem with Kawasaki .

Husqvarna is abandoning the tractor style mower business to focus on ZTR's which are a lot cheaper to assemble and have a higher profit to cost ratio.

MaineMan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Today, 16Apr2021, is my first day of joining the forum. I had a guy that did our mowing for 5 years, Did a great job! But I'm going to retire in two years and decided I'd start mowing my own lawn. I did the math and my break even point to cover my cost of buying over hiring someone is is about 3.5 years. Before moving to Maine I lived in Arizona for 6 years . While there we had a "zero scape" set up. No grass, no water requirements. Only thing we saw when looking outside were rock and cactus. That means I haven't had to use any mower for 11 years!

Being a first time buyer of a riding mower of any kind I spent, well lets just say, more time than any sane person should just to buy a $2.8K zero turn mower. I live on 20 acres but currently mow about 2 acres. Mostly dry flat meadows surrounding our house. I wonder if I'll have so much fun mowing I'll expand our grassy area to twice what it is now? I hope the novelty of mowing doesn't wear off after my first time! LOL

Be good, if you can't be good be careful!
Gus

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Enjoy your mowing Gus,
Just don't make out it is a difficult task to SWMBO .
I have a lot of widows in my repair run and to a woman they all say if they knew mowing was this much fun then their hubbies would have been doing the dusting & vacuuming for the past 50 years .

Grass is the highest maintenance thing you can have on a property .
Don't get caught out by grassing too much then not being able to maintain it when you get on a bit .
I have a lot of pensioner customers who had immaculate lawns and are in perpetual grief because it has gotten out of hand & they are no longer fit enough to rectify it .
A balance of grass to play on , trees for fruit & shade + garden for food & flowers and some natural area for local wildlife is the way to enjoy the property rather than to becoming a slave to it.
Add some ducks, chickens & geese for food feathers & eggs and you are getting close to paradise .
Remember natives rarely worked more than a few hours a day to feed cloth & house themselves .