Husqvarna YTH1842 compression issue?

cbr7380

Threads
Hi i have a Husqvarna YTH1842 with a Briggs and Stratton 33r777-0003G1 18.5 intek. Got it out to use this spring and was having problems starting so I bought a new battery,starter and solenoid with no luck! Had it looked at and was told it was a compression issue a release or something? Anyway they said $400 to fix and that just doesn't sound right,nor will I put $400 into fixing an engine Anyway any help feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! TIA

[/FONT]

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Frst thing to do is check / adjust the valve lash
I use 0.004" for both
If that fails to fix the problem go down to 0.002" on the INLET only
If that fails then the AC which is part of the cam shaft has failed
So the parts will be a cam shaft & a sump gasket & a lower oil seal
To do the job the engine has to come out , be flipped over, pulleys come off, sump come off, internals cleaned to ensuder every part of the ACR is accounted for then reassembled , returned to the engine, refilled with oil started run & governor adjusted then cooled and vlave lash readjusted .
Sounds way too cheap to me for aan ACR replacement and way too expensive of a simple valve lash adjustment .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It usually take at least two hours to do the job. Actually changing out the camshaft only takes 45mins to 1 hour it is the other things that makes the job longer such as removing and installing the engine.

The OEM camshaft currently is about $90 plus gaskets and oil. Then you are paying shop rate on labor. Around most Brick and Mortar shops are around $100 per hr; even I am at $65 per hr. When a DIYer does the job he usually not counting his labor as part of the cost to repair. (Nor does the IRS)

Take the Z925A I am working on. Replaced three engine mounting screws. Disassemble the engine yesterday which took over two hours as I had remove other body parts just to get to the #1 cylinder head. On top that the muffler will have to be replaced. It will probably take 5 hrs to do the job. I am only charging out 4 hrs labor and the job is still $751 with taxes. At least he didn't need a cylinder head.

Sorry things are not priced at the 1960's prices as I just got hit a large price increase from the OEM on parts alone.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And how many engines have you done when it took the better part of a whole day just to wash the thing then the rest of the day to remove rusted in place engine pulley before you start doing the actual job
I charge out 2 hours each way + 1 more for the actual cam so that is 5 hours total at $ 72 ( AUS ) + $ 250 for the parts

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is what I was getting at. Equipment owners just see the bill and not what actually was involved in doing the job. I terminated one my client's shop access here because he just keep nitpicking the bills. When he finally started telling me how it takes to do a job; that was the straw that broke the camel's back per say. Especially after I had wrote off two hours of labor of the mice damage repairs.

I have been lucky as most equipment usually comes apart fairly easy but there are those that are a royal pain to get apart.

Now I just got in a brand new JD S180 that has fire damage and it repairs are estimated at $2000 just to replace the plastics and damaged wiring harnesses. The JD parts alone are costing me $1200 plus another $250 for the Briggs parts. He should never been mowing a pile of dry leaves. He just brought less 4 months ago. JD wanted over $3000 to do the repairs. That one advantage I have over them as I have lower costs.

Gord Baker

Threads
A failed ACR (Automatic Compression Release) should not prevent it from Starting. It only assists starting by lowering the compression for Manual start. Set the valves 0.005" or as close as possible and try it. If that fails, I would recommend changing the Plugs and then the Coil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A failed ACR (Automatic Compression Release) should not prevent it from Starting. It only assists starting by lowering the compression for Manual start. Set the valves 0.005" or as close as possible and try it. If that fails, I would recommend changing the Plugs and then the Coil.
If the ACR has failed and the engine can not get past TDC then it ain't going to start is it .
I get 4 to 5 of these a year
same story, won't crank so new battery ( $ 150 ) new Coil ( $ 65 ) new solenoid ( $ 45 ) new carb ( $ 100+ ) then they bring it to me
4 out of 5 just need the valve lash set but I have learned not to do that in front of the customer but to hold the mower for 1 to 2 weeks before sending it back and pretending it had me stumped , because no one feels good about being made to look as stupid as they are .
The 5th one needs a new cam .

Reactions: Zue

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I wish I had the space but returning sooner does make the customer think the next time that maybe they let the professional do the work. I have had customers to try to get me make them whole again buy buying their used parts. Not going to happen. I had that installed a new starter. solenoid, voltage regulator, stator, and new battery before bring in the mower where I found a fifty cent wire terminal bad. He still got a bill for an hour's worth of labor and the terminal.

Now on those Briggs OHV engines I do keep a couple days but that is for the RTV to fully cure before attempting a restart after valve adjustment.

Gord Baker

Threads
If the ACR has failed and the engine can not get past TDC then it ain't going to start is it .
I get 4 to 5 of these a year
same story, won't crank so new battery ( $ 150 ) new Coil ( $ 65 ) new solenoid ( $ 45 ) new carb ( $ 100+ ) then they bring it to me
4 out of 5 just need the valve lash set but I have learned not to do that in front of the customer but to hold the mower for 1 to 2 weeks before sending it back and pretending it had me stumped , because no one feels good about being made to look as stupid as they are .
The 5th one needs a new cam .
The owner indicated he had problems getting it started. With Electric start and new starting components it should be able to Crank, then Start.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No where did CBR say it was cranking properly
The shop said the ACR had failed so the firt thing to do is confirn the diagnosis for accuracy before racing off on a tanget .
If the ground cable is corroded through it wonk crank fast enough to start regardless of how many solenoids he fitted .

Now on those Briggs OHV engines I do keep a couple days but that is for the RTV to fully cure before attempting a restart after valve adjustment.
As there is a better than average chance I will be the next person to remve the rocker cover I never ever use silicon on them
Even the ones that were siliconed from new
And the customer pays for the gasket in any case .