Husqvarna YT 48XLS trans problem

Wild Turkey73

Forum Newbie
Threads
after 5 years of hauling my significant self up and down a hillside it's faded away -- still will mow on flat but any slope and it really slows down.

Is there a better trans that fits available? It's only got 200 hours on it, garage kept so I'd like to fix it.

Dealer said it would probably cost $800 to fix.

Anyone got a source of a replacement trans?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before blaming the tranny, when was the last time you had the drive belt replaced? If never I would be removing the deck and inspect the belt, idler pulleys and idler tensioner arm. If you’ve never replaced the belt, and while you are under there either replace or clean and lube the pulleys and tensioner arm.

Wild Turkey73

Forum Newbie
Threads
Before blaming the tranny, when was the last time you had the drive belt replaced? If never I would be removing the deck and inspect the belt, idler pulleys and idler tensioner arm. If you’ve never replaced the belt, and while you are under there either replace or clean and lube the pulleys and tensioner arm.
It's a hydrostatic drive, no belt. I was under it last week when belt jumped off pulley because stick got in it -- belt is good.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
YT48XLS #56 in the diagram... Do you have the model or serial number? usually on a tag under the seat.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You just said the belt came off last week so it must have a belt??? The belt may have been compromised when it came off, especially if this problem happened after you put the belt back on. You must check the entire belt for wear, plus check to see if you routed if over a belt guide instead of under, plus the pulleys and tensioner arm.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some people will argue with a sign post with not a letter on it. Yes the T48XLS has a 1/2 x 92-1/2 drive belt. It also has two plastic composite v-idlers that tend to wear out until the drive belt bottoms out in the v-groove effectively making the drive belt longer than it should be allowing it to slip.

This mower has the Tuff Torq K46 hydrostatic transaxle.

Wild Turkey73

Forum Newbie
Threads
YT48XLS .. Do you have the model or serial number?
YT48XLS #56 in the diagram... Do you have the model or serial number? usually on a tag under the seat.
Guys, it's been a bad day and I'm a mite testy but this "ain't my first rodeo." I had to drop the transmission to get the belt untangled and everything looked good. It will mow very tall grass for a few minutes, then it will slow down when I start up a mild slope but blades are still throwing clippings like crazy. IIRC I drove the mower with the belt jammed.

And my searches have indicated the trans is a TUFF TORQ K46 CR.

When Murphy gets his foot out of my business I'll pull it and see what's wrong with it.

Does anyone have a good PDF of that parts breakdown? The one's I've found are too small to enlarge and these old eyes like a larger image.

Attachments

• Husky label.jpg
    Husky label.jpg
    567.1 KB · Views: 1

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might have had a bad day, but you must realize that as a service tech we ask people to check the simple and easiest things to check first. If they look good then we go to the tougher stuff. From experience a tangled belt most often needs to be replaced because the integrity of the belt has been compromised. Also, those Turf Torq trannys don’t usually don’t go bad instantly, but show signs of problems over time. You have the option of doing things the way you want, but don’t go bad mouthing the guys here who are trying to provide you with answers to you original questions. You came here looking for help, but your last post seems to tell us you know more about these problems than we do. If you do that do you think we are going to get our chops busted a second time if you have more questions. I’d be glad to help you if treat the members here with a little more respect and are willing to listen with an open mind to what is posted. Remember “ itain’t our first rodeo” either, and many of us have made it through the 8 seconds many times.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For the Tuff Torq K46CR there are three versions depending on the serial number of the transaxle so you need make you are looking at the right IPL. The following do have IPLs with Zoom feature.

https://tufftorq.ordertree.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=+k46cr

As for the slow down if is not the belt or idler pulleys then check the oil level and quality. I just reinstall a K46BN that had a oil leak on the left axle. When I went to install the seal the oil came out looking like liquid peanut butter. I order a seal kit and open up the unit to find the filter nearly clogged with pasty stuff and only about a liter of oil left; normally has 2.3 liters. Water had entered to unit too via the fill port cap. If not an oil problem then the center section will probably be the cause of the slow down. It only only take a scratch that your finger nail can catch on to cause pressure loss problem

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That K46 hydro has a long history of pain for owners. There have been some really good repair tips coming out lately that seem to restore the unit to good working condition without spending a fortune. When you get some time scan through this forum, lots of info: