Husqvarna MZ61 vs Spartan RZ-HD 61"

atomic126

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a little over 3 acres of property with 2 big hills to mow.
I'm looking to choose between these two mowers (as they are readily available in my area).
My neighbor let me borrow his Spartan RZ-HD 61 and it handles the hills well and was able to handle the entire property in about 1.5 hrs.
Does anyone have experience with the Husqvarna MZ61 and could provide a comparison? The Husqvarna is cheaper, does that mean its mow and build quality are not on the same level as the Spartan?
I currently have a 48" Husqvarna that is just not getting the job done.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why doesn't it get the job done?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No comparison
Husqvarna built as cheap as possible to make the maximum profit
Spartan made as good as possible in order to get a good reputation.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Spartan is a heavier built mower. The the keypad start system is it’s weak point.
If you are really interested in a new mower, look around and compare.
If Big Dog and Hustler are available near you, take a look at the Big Dog Stout MP and Hustler FasTrak SDX in 60”.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Spartan is a heavier built mower. The the keypad start system is it’s weak point.
If you are really interested in a new mower, look around and compare.
If Big Dog and Hustler are available near you, take a look at the Big Dog Stout MP and Hustler FasTrak SDX in 60”.

Yes I think both are available pretty close.

When is the best time to buy? Now or in January.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes I think both are available pretty close.

When is the best time to buy? Now or in January.
Check their websites.
If you wait until January, there may not be any mowers of any brand to be had.
Bobcat is running a $750 rebate on select model until 12/31/2021.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
I have looked at a few Husqvarna's and was never totally impressed. I'm just not confident they would hold up very long. Kubota has a couple of very interesting units that seem better built and the decks have a stronger support system. I ended up with a Simplicity model that is a cross between Ferris and Simplicity called the Courier XT. I love the deck and the cut quality. It seems to have some commercial quality at a residential price. It handles my hills very well. Might be worth lookin gat if you can find one. If you plan to mow that 3 acres in 1.5 hours take a good look at units with a suspension system and a good seat. It will make the ride more pleasant and your body won't take quite the beating. since this is likely a 5-10 year investment ( if you pick the right one) a stronger unit is a better investment. When you compare price...keep in mind the price difference is not that much more per month and the satisfaction well worth it. $1000 difference over 120 months is only $8 per month.

atomic126

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have looked at a few Husqvarna's and was never totally impressed. I'm just not confident they would hold up very long. Kubota has a couple of very interesting units that seem better built and the decks have a stronger support system. I ended up with a Simplicity model that is a cross between Ferris and Simplicity called the Courier XT. I love the deck and the cut quality. It seems to have some commercial quality at a residential price. It handles my hills very well. Might be worth lookin gat if you can find one. If you plan to mow that 3 acres in 1.5 hours take a good look at units with a suspension system and a good seat. It will make the ride more pleasant and your body won't take quite the beating. since this is likely a 5-10 year investment ( if you pick the right one) a stronger unit is a better investment. When you compare price...keep in mind the price difference is not that much more per month and the satisfaction well worth it. $1000 difference over 120 months is only $8 per month.
Thanks, I'll check out Simplicity. This helped make my decision a little easier.

bkeller500

Threads
If you look at Simplicity. look at the Courier XT or the other bigger units. The other Couriers are entry level and not likely to meet your needs.