Huskee Supreme SLT 4600 (MTD 13AX605H730) snaps shoulder bolt on mower deck

Lommax

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Huskee Supreme SLT 4600 (MTD 13AX605H730) snaps shoulder bolt on mower deck
I have a 2006 Huskee Supreme SLT 4600 that I purchased used last year from the previous owner of our house. Between last year and this year, I have replaced all of the deck and drive belts and the ball bearings in the deck. No big deal. Just routine maintenance, especially considering I don't know when the old parts were installed. After replacing the drive belts this year, it performed well for about a month before a shoulder bolt that attaches a pulley bracket on the left side of the deck snapped off. I have replaced this bolt a total of 3 times in the past 6 weeks. The last one snapped yesterday evening. I am a complete loss as to what could be causing it to snap. The deck drive belt that's on the pulley isn't too tight when the PTO lever is engaged. It still gives a little when you push in on it. I've checked the leveling of the mower deck, made some adjustments, and still snapped the same bolt. I'm completely at a loss as to what could be causing this shoulder bolt to snap and would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks. :confused2::mur:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Purchase a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut to fit. A grade 8 bolt will have 6 / marks like this on top of head.

Hooch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Purchase a grade 8 bolt with a self locking nut to fit. A grade 8 bolt will have 6 / marks like this on top of head.

Bolt will not come out of bracket now what???

Hooch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it thread out or pressed in??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post a picture of bolt & brace if you can. Make sure when you purchase grade 8 bolt that shoulder of bolt, not threads, contact moving parts when tightened completely, pick up two flat washers & a self locking nut to fit bolt.

Huskee Supreme Riding Mower - 13AX605H730

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not familiar with the machine, but ...what was the source of the replacement bolts, and were they above "commercial" grade, i.e., they had some kind of head marking and were not just smooth heads? What was the ref for the torquing force-ft lbs? If the bolts were not stretched properly and thus allowed to work back in forth fatigue would snap them. While grade 8 is very strong it would seem a lower grade such as 5 or 6 should work if the bolt shoulder is seating on a stable surface (not rusted thin)and torqued . A manual with torque value may help. :2cents: