HRX217HYA forward speed too slow

ammodave

Threads
I have a brand new HRX217HYA that I purchased to replace my aging HR215SXA. The mowers appear very similar except for the transmission. My old model (a 3 speed) was almost faster than a comfortable walk in top gear. The new mower seems slower in the fastest setting on the cruise control. My owner's manuals rated the old mower at 3.1mph while the new model is supposed to go 3.6-4.1mph; however, it feels much slower in actual use. Is there any easy way to increase my top speed? Will tightening the cable on the speed control accomplish anything? This is my third blade clutch Honda and it's a great mower but I'd like to go faster.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Cruise control" so you must have the hydro model. In which case there is not a whole lot of adjustments. Can take it to a dealer and have them give it a once over

ammodave

Threads
It's a long way to the nearest dealer and I don't have a "mower friendly" vehicle. I was hoping for a diy approach.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's a long way to the nearest dealer and I don't have a "mower friendly" vehicle. I was hoping for a diy approach.

Here's how to inspect and adjust the ground speed on the HYA; it will be helpful if you have a small engine tachometer to confirm engine speed...

Attachments

• hya drive troubleshooting.pdf
    167.1 KB · Views: 267
  • hya shift cable adjust.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 347
  • hya ground speed inspect and adjust.pdf
    293.4 KB · Views: 272

ammodave

Threads
Thanks Robert! The problem was the adjustment on the shift cable. As delivered, the mower did not begin to move until the shifter was in the 4th notch. I adjusted it so that it doesn't move in the 1st position and just begins to creep when in position 2. Now the ground speed is right up there with my old mower. I was actually hoping it was an engine rpm problem so I'd have an excuse to buy a tachometer.:smile: